BCD396XT/BCD996XT: POI Deletion - How? and GPS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4ifo

How do I delete a POI in my BCD996XT? The online versions of the manual mention 'delete' but don't provide instructions.

And

I have connected a GPS to my scanner. The GPS is programmable and I can adjust the time it waits in transmitting info to the scanner. Once a second seems a little more 'frequent' than needed. I have many sites that are out of range and will be 'locked out' by the scanner till they are 'in range'. What is the sequence the scanner follows in this? Once it has received a location from the gps, it seems to take many cycles before it has locked out remote sites. I have set it for 5 seconds and don't know it that is too long or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fred

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The frequency that the scanner checks its location against what it is scanning is independent of how often the GPS sends a location fix to the scanner. There is no performance benefit to having the GPS update the scanner less than once a second. That is the Uniden GPS puck refresh rate.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have a lot of systems in your scanner, it can take some time for the scanner to work through turning off the unneeded ones. Generally I use System Quick Keys and will turn off those that won't be applicable. For example if I'm traveling from Kentucky to Florida, all my Minnesota stuff is off via Quick Key.

That way those systems where the System Quick Key is off are not checked for location. The process is hastened quite a bit that way.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's not an issue with the BCDx36HP series scanners. They have no trouble with GPS scanning the main database, which is essentially a Favorite List containing everything in the USA and Canada.

wb4ifo

Changed GPS Update Cycle

The original GPS update rate was once every 5 seconds. I am not sure if that or the large number of sites loaded in the scanner caused it to take almost 20 minutes to complete the lock out of the remote sites. I finally removed the antenna and that seems to have sped up the process. Receiving signals was interrupting the 'update' sequence. It appears that the update process in the scanner is more complex than I thought.

I have now adjusted the GPS to transmit updates every second.

I will test the system and hope that the unlock process works faster.

Do you have any suggestion on the POI deletion?
I created a couple POI's and they just annoy. How do I delete them?

Thanks again,
Fred

phask

Premium Subscriber
As
to all the other useless replys. I have no idea :)

- to clarify - the OP is NOT asking one thing about scanning but about usung POI.

I do not have my 996 available - but for the newer 996P2

Under Menu - Program Location - choose the location (scrool) then one of the choices is delete or remove

To Edit an Existing Location press Menu. Scroll to 'Program Location' and press E/yes.
At 'Select Type' scroll to 'POI', 'Dangerous Xing', or 'Dangerous Road' and press E/yes.
At 'Select 'POI', 'Dangerous Xing', or 'Dangerous Road' scroll to the location you want to edit and press E/yes.
Scroll to the options below and press E/yes. Press Scan/Srch to return to scanning when done with editing.

Check here as well

Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual

The original GPS update rate was once every 5 seconds. I am not sure if that or the large number of sites loaded in the scanner caused it to take almost 20 minutes to complete the lock out of the remote sites. I finally removed the antenna and that seems to have sped up the process. Receiving signals was interrupting the 'update' sequence. It appears that the update process in the scanner is more complex than I thought.

I have now adjusted the GPS to transmit updates every second.

I will test the system and hope that the unlock process works faster.

Do you have any suggestion on the POI deletion?
I created a couple POI's and they just annoy. How do I delete them?

Thanks again,
Fred

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The original GPS update rate was once every 5 seconds. I am not sure if that or the large number of sites loaded in the scanner caused it to take almost 20 minutes to complete the lock out of the remote sites.

I think you were asking two separate questions, one on deleting Points of Interest and then discussing the time to lock out distant systems/sites/groups with the GPS device.

I believe Phask's response should be helpful on that. If not you can Google Uniden 396XT Complete Reference. That is a PDF document for the 396XT which functions very similarly to the 996.

On the time to cycle when connecting a GPS device: If you have a large number of Systems/Sites/Groups programmed in your scanner, it does take a long time to go through all of them at first power-up with a GPS device.

What the scanner does is take the location reported by the GPS device, then steps through each System/Site/Group and compares the location values for those things against the GPS reported located. If not in range, then the System/Site/Group is put in a lockout condition. This applies to those Systems/Sites/Groups that are not already locked out and the System Quick Key is enabled.

For a couple of years I had a 996/GPS combination in my vehicle for trips from Kentucky to North Dakota. A large number of things were programmed and it seemed to take the GPS forever to go through them and do it's "turning off" thing.

To get around that issue, I'd assigned Systems/Sites Quick Keys by state. I would disable those Quick Keys except for the state I was in. That seemed to speed up the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.