Point Loma: 30 victim mass casuality boat incident with fatalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Panga Boat hit Point Loma area near the Cabrillo National Monument and "exploded" per unidentified military rescue person at scene. Happened just after 10:15AM. Per scanner, up to 30 victims so far, with 3 of those being 11-44. SDFD, SD Lifeguards, Harbor Police, USBP, US Customs, US Navy, and USCG are among the agencies involved in the rescue efforts. Official word is the boat overturned or capsized, not clear on where the rescuer got that it "exploded".

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 12.26.10 PM.png

Alain

I had heard, Friday evening on KUSI, that these agencies were going to vigorously patrol our county's coast because of a similar incident that occur last week in I.B.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Panga Boat hit Point Loma area near the Cabrillo National Monument and "exploded" per unidentified military rescue person at scene. Happened just after 10:15AM. Per scanner, up to 30 victims so far, with 3 of those being 11-44. SDFD, SD Lifeguards, Harbor Police, USBP, US Customs, US Navy, and USCG are among the agencies involved in the rescue efforts. Official word is the boat overturned or capsized, not clear on where the rescuer got that it "exploded".

View attachment 103113

The boat looked like it was constructed from wood and came apart suddenly when it hit the rocks. Another description would be it disintegrated quickly. I wonder if the 3 fatalities were people who didn't know how to swim. This makes me wonder why there weren't more that didn't make it.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, there is vdeo of it breaking up, maybe thats what the rescue swimmer meant by "exploded", it was confusing to me having only the soundbite to go on.

Paul

hill

Premium Subscriber
They were illegal immigrants trying to sneak into the USA. Mostly they use boats that shouldn't be on the ocean and have them overloaded with way more people than a boat of that size should have onboard, plus none of the required safety equipment. Many times these vessels are discussed as being rustic.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Got to remember, the boats, as well as the life vests etc, are all considered disposable and one use to the smugglers, so quality is not a big factor. A lot of the boats are actually CF registered and stolen. I went to one a year or two ago where the boat just tossed everyone into the ocean and sped back to Mexico!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's so sad for those illegal immigrants who are not aware what's going on, especially children, they just listen to our state media and follow what they're told to do, very tragic and totally unnecessary.

I salute the efforts of our First Responders as they are caught in the middle between their sworn duty to uphold the law and top leadership telling them to ignore it. Very sad.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Was not much in the way of interagency radio communications...was working on 9A/B/C, Lifeguard Disp 2, USCG, Navy Point Loma talkgroup DoD, and DHS and Harbor PD encrypted seperately. Not sure how big a difference that would have made given each agency was basically doing something the others were not directly involved with, but it couldn't have hurt.

Paul

prcguy

A lot of these boats are loaded with drugs and the drivers are given a GPS with a waypoint to reach, often on the back side of Catalina Island. After the load of drugs is dumped on the beach the people are free to run for the mainland and land anywhere from north of San Diego to Palos Verdes and usually not much further north than that. For smuggling people I've heard reports of a van waiting up on the cliffs in various areas to pick up the people, so I think radios are used to coordinate the pickups.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
- 1025 am - comms on marine ch16

I dont think this is the complete tape of the entire incident. IIRC when I first checked this You Tube channel there was a Tow Boat US at scene and he reported 1 or 2 people in the water - he did not feel safe in going thru the surf and debris - then he reported that the lifeguards had shown up with 1 skiff and 3 jetskis - then there were later comms about 1 victim getting cpr and transferring that person to cutter and then to uscg helo

maybe at some point the entire tape with Marine Ch16 comms will show up on You Tube

prcguy

If this was a paid coyote type operation and the person(s) being paid were piloting the boat, I hope they are not only charged with human smuggling but also manslaughter or worse. For drug smugglers I would not mind if they sank the boat in open ocean and returned to base without a rescue operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.