Point Mugu Air Show Reveals New TGs

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Saturday & Sunday (Mar 18 & 19) are the days of the Point Mugu Air Show featuring both the Navy Blue Angles & the Air Force Thunderbirds plus other military & civilian acts. Today, the Friday before, was the full dress rehearsal where special groups are invited.

Rather than concentrate on the aerial acts I decided to search for scarce, unreported land mobile Talkgroups (TG) on the Navy Base Ventura County site (site 509) of the United States Department of Defense (14C) trunked system.

Below are what I found today. Exact TG definitions for the RRDB were difficult to determine from the little I heard. By searching the NBVC site & careful listening, we should be able to find some rare gems for the RRDB.

TG
24268 Temporary guard post request backup for uncooperative subject
24278 1624 Clearing TG for day
24270 Public Affairs Office (best guess)
1230 “need stake bed truck in front of school buses’
1247 “First bus coming back to pick up kids”
1448 Child can’t find grandpa. Xxx Supervisor requests unit meet him.

Happy hunting.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Good stuff. Wondering if anybody was able to get the air boss freq. i’ve been searching but can’t find.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Got Air Boss. He's weak. I'm monitoring from my home in east Ventura.
Mugu tower 124.850 occasionally talks with Air Boss, but AB not heard here.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Three new Talk Groups were discovered during my periods of searching. They were 24270, 24277, & 24278. The “Command Post” was heard on all 3 TGs as were exchanges about parking and/or traffic control. 24270 seemed to be the primary overall channel with the most diversified topics.

As far as adding these to the Db, it’s impossible to know their official names. One unit trying to raise another was told it was on “Tac 4".This suggest each of these TGs is a designated Tac channel, but Tac for what?

Meanwhile the three should be added to the Db since they exist. Possible Descriptions are “Special Events” or “Point Mugu Air Show 2023".
Suggestions?

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Please post any new information that's not in the database you have on the Blue Angels Air Show. Put them under Miscellaneous, Ground Operations or Aerial Operations unless they were designated just for your location. They will be here in the Florida Keys in 3 weeks and I will be attending. I will be taking a variety of scanners along with my RE Electronics racing headphones with mic.

Last edited:

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Saturday & Sunday (Mar 18 & 19) are the days of the Point Mugu Air Show featuring both the Navy Blue Angles & the Air Force Thunderbirds plus other military & civilian acts. Today, the Friday before, was the full dress rehearsal where special groups are invited.

Rather than concentrate on the aerial acts I decided to search for scarce, unreported land mobile Talkgroups (TG) on the Navy Base Ventura County site (site 509) of the United States Department of Defense (14C) trunked system.

Below are what I found today. Exact TG definitions for the RRDB were difficult to determine from the little I heard. By searching the NBVC site & careful listening, we should be able to find some rare gems for the RRDB.

TG
24268 Temporary guard post request backup for uncooperative subject
24278 1624 Clearing TG for day
24270 Public Affairs Office (best guess)
1230 “need stake bed truck in front of school buses’
1247 “First bus coming back to pick up kids”
1448 Child can’t find grandpa. Xxx Supervisor requests unit meet him.

Happy hunting.
It looks like the TG's you found are location specific and not pertinent to the traveling Air Show.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the TG's you found are location specific and not pertinent to the traveling Air Show.
Hence the title POINT MUGU AIR SHOW REVEALS NEW TGs, speaking not about air show freqs, but Point Mugu talkgroups. And, as @mikegilbert pointed out in the LA California regional forum.

@captainmax1 if you want the best source of air show freqs I highly recommend the annual air show edition of Spectrum Monitor, packed full of numerous frequencies for all the teams on the circuit.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 20.53.58.png Screenshot 2023-03-20 20.57.39.png

Last edited:

ecps92

Hence the title POINT MUGU AIR SHOW REVEALS NEW TGs, speaking not about air show freqs, but Point Mugu talkgroups. And, as @mikegilbert pointed out in the LA California regional forum.

@captainmax1 if you want the best source of air show freqs I highly recommend the annual air show edition of Spectrum Monitor, packed full of numerous frequencies for all the teams on the circuit.

View attachment 138522 View attachment 138523
And excellent investment and so many Well Done articles

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Some photos I snapped on Thursday during media day. Here's the towers and radar units on the hill above the base. These were shot @ 600mm.

52771275993_925612ad74_h.jpg

52771199240_7413566a3d_h.jpg

uman18

I hike Chumash trail and sometimes the aircraft fly around at low altitudes and you can pretty much wave at the pilots. The trail head is across the hwy from the shooting range on PCH, before Mugu Rock.

I know I am a bit late to this but I have some information on the channel names they used but the doc I saw didn't have TG#s attached. It just said "trunked" . The police TG was active but I don't think it was part of the ones listed below. Of course Im sure they had several TG operating or various functions.

show command
show traffic
show parking
fire command
air operations