Point to Point (Intercity) Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalManMI

Did anybody notice the ongoing interference on "Point to Point" (155.370) in the I-94/I-275 area (S.E. Michigan) for the past couple of days? Basically, it sounded like an open carrier. I had to lock it out since the scanner would just lockup on it and nothing else could be heard.

It sounds like it has finally been resolved as of a few minutes ago, but this went on for about 48 hours!

:?

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing it like that since atleast Saturday morning. I checked it this morning and once again had to lock it out. I hate locking out a valuable frequency like that one. Hope someone get's it fixed soon.

Paul

MetalManMI

Yep, you're right! It is still an ongoing problem...

Friday night is the first I noticed it.

jimsokol

Premium Subscriber
Could have been a distant station coming in due to some ducting from all of the storms over the weekend.

MetalManMI

Thunderbolt said:
I wonder what agency had the malfunctioning transmitter?

I traveled east this morning. The closer to Detroit I got, the stronger and clearer the signal became...

MetalManMI

jimsokol said:
Could have been a distant station coming in due to some ducting from all of the storms over the weekend.

I had the same thought at first, but there was no transmission, just an open carrier...and it was continuous...

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Inter City

It was tracked down to a building in Detroit on Warren Ave. It is a wireless mic off frequency or something along those lines. You can not hear any modulation until you are about two blocks from the building. Then it booms in clear. It seems to have stopped for now.

MetalManMI

Re: Inter City

detroit780 said:
It was tracked down to a building in Detroit on Warren Ave. It is a wireless mic off frequency or something along those lines. You can not hear any modulation until you are about two blocks from the building. Then it booms in clear. It seems to have stopped for now.

Wow! A wireless mic caused harmful interference on a statewide police frequency for a 30+ mile radius!?!?

How did you find this out?

:?:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Intercity

How did I find this out? It's called Radio Direction Finding. RDF. IT's not all that hard to do. Join an amateur radio club and learn how. As far as it being 30 miles away that is nothing new either. There have been cases of plastic lamenating machines, door bells, toasters and such that cause harmful interference all the time. It doesn't have to be a radio to interfere.

Status
Not open for further replies.