Polar Route HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
Hello from Kingston, Ontario

Who is having luck with any of the Polar Route HF comms ? I have been parked on 6640 and just tonight have caught some traffic. Not enough signal to determine much. I’m using a PAR SWL with an Icom 746Pro. I also just put up an Hy Endfed SWL wire and despite it being almost double the length doesn’t seem to make add much over the PAR.

eager to hear you success stories !!
Cheers
Chris

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
In San Antonio, I'm regularly able to hear Gander working many of the polar routes on 8891 and 11279 during the early evening hours when the sun is setting.

Additionally, right at sunset in the winter time, I'll occasionally catch Magadan Radio on 11390 which is Russian controllers for the polar routes.

Sprint

Premium Subscriber
Seems like Gander has a pretty far reaching signal especially for the NAT D sector. Are you on a wire or beam ? I'm considering the Wellbrook loop as well despite the significant investment .

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't find it to be very directional - I am able to null out some neighbors solar panel inverters OK but overall HF reception is quite strong all over the map. I have it oriented in an east/west configuration.

majoco

Stirrer
Lindsay - Gander gives a pretty good signal down here at times, but did you hear any aircraft he was working going over the polar route? I have tried to hear the BBC relay from Meyerton in South Africa which is right over the southern pole from me and not even a carrier! I think they have stopped using that relay now. Magadan is a good catch, probably on the gray line for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.