Police and CSQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tophtoh

Is it possible for a police frequecy on a repeater to use CSQ? Does anyone know of any that do? I've never heard a repeater without a tone and I'd like to find one. I live in Northwest Ohio. Thanks!

car2back

It's possible... sounds like it would be problematic, though.

You may consult the Ohio regional forum to see if anyone there knows of a repeater in your area on Carrier Squelch.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Tophtoh said:
Is it possible for a police frequecy on a repeater to use CSQ? Does anyone know of any that do? I've never heard a repeater without a tone and I'd like to find one. I live in Northwest Ohio. Thanks!

It would sound no different...all tones do is eliminate interference. I don't think there are many PD repeaters without tones, but I know many FDs use CSQ alot.

n1das

KCChiefs9690 said:
It would sound no different...all tones do is eliminate interference. I don't think there are many PD repeaters without tones, but I know many FDs use CSQ alot.

Tone squelch helps the repeater ignore interference by not being keyed up by it. Tone squelch technically does not eliminate the source(s) of interference. The interference may still be there on the input frequency but the repeater won't respond to it.

I've heard of PD repeaters running CSQ by accident, where the tone squelch function was inadvertently turned OFF. It usually gets turned back on after the repeater is heard rebroadcasting distant co-channel traffic taking place on the repeater's input frequency.

I don't know of any that intentionally run CSQ. I think it in the FCC rules and regs (Part 90) that public safety systems are supposed to use some kind of selective calling system, such as tone squelch (CTCSS) or it's digital equivalent (DCS).

Last edited:

n1das

Tophtoh said:

Why do you want to find one? Don't even THINK of trying to key that repeater up if you manage to find one!

Status
Not open for further replies.