Police and Fire Frequencies needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawpro96

Premium Subscriber
Hi I hope someone can help me out. I have a pro 96 scanner and I am trying to find frequencies for the Philadelphia fire and police department. I tried to program it myself and I think I did it right but I am not getting anything. Could it be that when I moved to Berks County PA I was out of the area? Or something else. I can't remember if they operate on EDACS or Motorola P25. Please let me know.
Thanks so much!!

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Philly system has a limited range outside of the city (pretty limited at times inside the city). I live about 10 miles northwest of the city limit, can't get a single bar on any radio I own. I certainly miss the VHF (fire) & UHF (police) days

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Philly system has a limited range outside of the city (pretty limited at times inside the city). I live about 10 miles northwest of the city limit, can't get a single bar on any radio I own. I certainly miss the VHF (fire) & UHF (police) days
Do you have an SDS100?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Wow and you still get nothing on Philly? Use the Wide Invert filter and squelch 0?

Philly is hard to pick up to the NW. I am less than 10 miles NW of Roxborough and can even have issues using my G5 depending on where it is sitting in the house. Funny thing is I can pick up NJICS nearly full bars on the same unit in the same locations.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I see. You must live in "that area". I've come across "that area" on the Schuylkill as soon as I hit the Conshohocken curve. Even though I just passed the Roxborough towers, all the rocks block the signal, and the towers signal is not strong (output is only 40w I believe and also angled to the southeast I suspect). It is an interesting study as many people in that direction do not hear Philly from places like Willow Grove, Horsham, Norristown, etc.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
If P25 CPQSK modulation is line of sight, then would this be a bad analogy to use...? You're at the top of a stairwell lying down. You can see the bottom of the stairwell, but not the first step down.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
There is one spot in Norristown heading east on Ridge Pk towards Trooper Rd where I can pick the system up briefly. Must be in direct line of sight to one of the towers.
Yes I see that spot on Google Maps. It's about 11 miles from the Roxborough towers but due to their weak output and despite their height I believe your signal would be coming from Squrt 9 station at Germantown and Carpenter which is 12 miles away. From Ridge & Trooper if my theory is correct, Philly would now be like the bottom of the stairwell and within line of sight. It looks like thats a pretty open area with few trees to block the signal. That's important. You should also be on a slight downslope towards Philly with a big hill back to the NW which could enhance signal strength. If you're using a rooftop 800mhz antenna on your vehicle you should really see these principles play out. For everyone else reading this, we're not just bantering back and forth, this may be a good teaching moment to help us understand what makes our P25 systems so spotty based on raw signal strength. But remember, with most receivng devices (besides the Uniden SDS model and the Unication pagers) you also have to worry about simulcast distortion - where if there is more than one transmitter within range of the same site (set of frequencies) coming in to the scanner at slightly different time intervals, that will throw off your scanner and you will not receive the signal at all, or not well enough.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
11 miles is a bit long for this technology. HAAT tends to be fairly low, and antenna orientation limits reception to specific areas.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
11 miles is a bit long for this technology. HAAT tends to be fairly low, and antenna orientation limits reception to specific areas.
True. But in another direction and flatter terrain I have successfully monitored the same system on an SDS100 from as far as 24 miles out. So in the right conditions it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.