Police Call Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunker0205

Too bad I really like the publication for frequencies,plus it had alot of other stuff..I have the 2005 copy and CD Rom...I hope it not a sign of the times with declining scanning publications.

jrplmil

From what I have read it is just the Author wanted to retire and he did. I also got the 2005 with CD.

landonjensen

Police Call was discontinued????
Wow, thats news to me. I have 2 versions of it for the CA edition.
Thats too bad.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Isn't all the info available on the internet, if not this site, now anyway?

It's a good thing to save some trees.

Now if we can only work on getting the orientals to use metal forks...... :)

GM

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the wave of the future, where most information will be only electronically accessible. Take a look at how much technology has evolved over the past twenty years, and what holds for us in the future. Since we live in the digital age of electronics & want information this instant, (instead of waiting a specific time period for updates), there was no way that this book would have survived a profitable sale in the forseeable future. It went out of style with class, & I thank the editor & publisher for their contribution to scanning over the decades. :)

LarrySC

People still want printed radio data. I publish a local directory for the upstate of SC. Have been doing this since 1980. Update it once a year just before local ham fest. 68 pages of very deep detail. Have R/S Dealer stores for dealers. As people drop the hobby because of the cost of digital, those who are savy want more trunking info. Format is simple. Can be done in MS WORD. I take camera ready book to printer. The secret to cost in the equipment used to print. I have never failed to make a profit and my dealers as well. SSOOO its time for you local Guru's to start putting together a book. My customers often buy more than one so they can keep one in the car/truck. I saw the future of this 26 years ago. Maybe you can see it now. People offten ask how I can afford all the equipment I have. It didnt cost me one red cent. Good Luck to all.

ReceiverBeaver

Banned
Well said GM and congratulations Larry

I'm glad you've enjoyed the success you've had Larry but it's not likely that you will be followed by many if any others around the country.

For the majority, it's the digital age that is here and the electronic suoerhighway is road.

tnx

JohnnyGalaga

Banned
ReceiverBeaver,

What's that character in your avatar? is it some sort of anit-Barney ?

I've seen that same thing in other people's avatars and was curious cos I don't know where it's from.

garys

Premium Subscriber
JnglMassiv said:
For what it's worth, I haven't had any need for a paper scanner guide for about 10 years.
Only every time I try to fold up my laptop and toss it in the glove box, it breaks. Mostly electronic guides are more up to date, but it's nice to have a paper version when you're traveling.

Gary

rdale

With scanners holding 5000 frequencies or more - the ability to preprogram means you don't need to take the laptop or the book with you.

garys

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
With scanners holding 5000 frequencies or more - the ability to preprogram means you don't need to take the laptop or the book with you.
Not true at all. I find that often when I pre program I have to do some reprogramming when I get to the local area and actually start listening. RR is very good, but it's not 100% accurate. Not all areas have local scanner sites, sometimes I find I have to reprogram on the fly once I've listened for a while.

Gary

LarrySC

Interesting replys. In my publication I include business and industrial. I include detail thats never found in databases. I have actually listed some police agencies "secret channel" exactly that way. It's often I include humor. I have a Daves Top Ten List from the Home Office. It's the mixture that keeps it alive. I do agree that this web site is the best source for info, BUT, its the extra detail that people pay for. 68 pages [small font] for 8.95 retail is a bargin anywhere. If you can hear it, its listed. Best Regards to all.

trunker0205

LarrySC said:
Interesting replys. In my publication I include business and industrial. I include detail thats never found in databases. I have actually listed some police agencies "secret channel" exactly that way. It's often I include humor. I have a Daves Top Ten List from the Home Office. It's the mixture that keeps it alive. I do agree that this web site is the best source for info, BUT, its the extra detail that people pay for. 68 pages [small font] for 8.95 retail is a bargin anywhere. If you can hear it, its listed. Best Regards to all.

What publication is that ?

USAPatriot

It's interesting the range of reactions to this. And you can tell who is older than the book, and who is younger. -Rod-

GM

Premium Subscriber
With regards to printed frequency information (books, catalogs, "CD-ROMS," etc), I prefer to purchase a hard copy because it normally includes information that is not normally available to the public without having to look hard for it (and then you get the person who steals the copyrighted info. and posts it all over the web). My example to this is the New York Metro/Northern NJ Metro Communications Guide, 7th Edition sold by Scanner Master Corp. Now, this is a well spent investment in my opinion. Some of the information in there is out of date, but then there's plenty of other juicy freq's that I had not a clue about and other department information that gave me an insight as to who does what, etc. I had also purchased a copy of Police Call, Vol. 2 every year for a few years before it retired, however the book was only as good as what was contributed to it by the readers. The same goes for this site. I recall in Channel One, the intro letter to Police Call, the publisher & editor asking readers to contribute info. for the book; however, because technology evolved at a rapid pace and the age of "instant gratification" came about, the discontinuation of the book was the only direction it was going to. I do miss the book; others would argue that it was more valuable as a camp fire starter than the info. printed in it.

red8

And this is progress, things change sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. We just have to learn to improvise adapt and
overcome life's minor inconveniences in order to survive. True I miss
going to the local Radio Shack to purchase the directory each and every year. However with great sites like this one, I don't have to wait every year for updates on frequency changes. Thanks to everyone that contributes, I and many others have the opportunity
at the click of a mouse can access information such as frequency and talk groups or valueable information in regards to remedying problems with reception and other problems.

LarrySC

To answer trunker0205

As per my original post, it a directory for the upstate of SC. Covers 60 miles out from a center of Greenville.

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
by the way, didn't we have a thread about this from about a year ago already?
I just thought most people already knew about this :cool:
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.