Police & COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering what precautions officers in the field are doing to protect themselves from contamination since they have to make contact with all sorts of people. Rubber gloves, hand sanitizers, bio suits, SCBAs, what?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Right. They're gonna wear "bio suits".....or not. I suspect just the usual precautions because, in most "normal" calls, they don't know what they're dealing with. Their "customers" have TB, HIV, colds, the flu and lord knows what else. What's different about COVID-19 when it comes to communicability?

wtp

wasn't there a cop shop talking about not breaking the law.
kind of like "you don't want us near you" kind of thing.
tulsa maybe.

K7MFC

WRAA720
Not police, but I've been hearing traffic on the Metro Light Rail Security talkgroup regarding taking precautions in dealing with people who may appear to be exhibiting any flu-like symptoms.

KB7MIB

wasn't there a cop shop talking about not breaking the law.
kind of like "you don't want us near you" kind of thing.
tulsa maybe.

Both Phoenix and Puyallup, WA have posted tweets asking criminals to refrain from criminal activity for the duration, and they'd let the criminals know when they can resume being criminals. :)

Those are the two that I know of.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

We may start hearing references to taking "universal precautions" more often.

Unless that term is reserved only for specific illnesses/diseases.

John
Peoria

Reconrider

Both Phoenix and Puyallup, WA have posted tweets asking criminals to refrain from criminal activity for the duration, and they'd let the criminals know when they can resume being criminals. :)

John
Peoria
I love when cops are funny like that. Makes the dept fun to know and be around(non-criminal)

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber
Right. They're gonna wear "bio suits".....or not. I suspect just the usual precautions because, in most "normal" calls, they don't know what they're dealing with. Their "customers" have TB, HIV, colds, the flu and lord knows what else. What's different about COVID-19 when it comes to communicability?
True. OK Thx

KD7JVRinAZ

Premium Subscriber

Those are the two that I know of.

John
Peoria
"Please do not burglarize anybody until the virus is contained...then its business as usual."

fredva

Feed Provider
In my Virginia county, non-emergency reports are being taken over the phone instead of in person, and services such as fingerprinting for employment background checks have been suspended. In general, they are trying to around only the people they have to be around.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
In my Virginia county, non-emergency reports are being taken over the phone instead of in person.......
In Columbus, GA, they've been doing that for years. Usually, light-duty officers fill the slots. Under the present circumstances, they may publicize it a little more.

KB7MIB

azfamily had a piece earlier about the precautions that firefighters and paramedics are taking in light of COVID-19.

Calltakers will be asking specific questions in regards to your symptoms. If you have, or think you have, COVID-19, they are asking that you speficially state this, and they will notify responding units who will don additional PPE, such as a mask, eye protection, and protective sleeves in addition to gloves.

John
Peoria

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
At the end of that information is the following: For law enforcement personnel performing daily routine activities, the immediate health risk is considered low.

Paysonscanner

Information releases from various sources have been saying that if you don't have the virus to not wear facemasks. If you think or have had it confirmed you have the virus then face masks should be used. This differs from the direction given to medical facilities where contact with infected people is far more likely. Also, the safety zone for law enforcement is generally about 5 feet or more from people, so the 6 foot distance recommended social distancing is not much more.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber

A department here in NE IL posted something similar... but saying they'd let the criminals know when they can resume being "yo bad-ass selves." :ROFLMAO:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
In my Virginia county, non-emergency reports are being taken over the phone instead of in person, and services such as fingerprinting for employment background checks have been suspended. In general, they are trying to around only the people they have to be around.
Like wise in new Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.