Police cuts taking a toll on Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
"Some cities are looking at cutting police staffs even further as local governments struggle to pay for patrols. Tight tax revenues -- caused in part by Michigan's long-struggling economy -- are blamed for police layoffs from southeast Michigan's big cities to small, rural communities in the Upper Peninsula."

Do some speeder stings and just sit and clock people to get some money.
Kzoo city did that but took heat for it a few years back and they did say they were doing it to cut down on speeders but to bring money into the city.

Some towns I hear get as much a 80% rev. from tickets.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Ticket revenue is chump change. They could make a lot more money busting drug dealers and confiscating their assets!

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
GreatLakes said:
Ticket revenue is chump change. They could make a lot more money busting drug dealers and confiscating their assets!

I dunno about that one.

We got redlight cameras and speeding cams all over out here in AZ. All day long they sit there and flash at passing motorists. You can almost hear the Ka-CHING sound as each ticket is sent on it's merry way. The revenue from these machines probably outweighs revenue from drug seizures by 100 to 1.

I'd look up some figures, but it's time for a meeting so maybe later.

-AZ

seamusg

AZScanner said:
I dunno about that one.

We got redlight cameras and speeding cams all over out here in AZ. All day long they sit there and flash at passing motorists. You can almost hear the Ka-CHING sound as each ticket is sent on it's merry way. The revenue from these machines probably outweighs revenue from drug seizures by 100 to 1.

I'd look up some figures, but it's time for a meeting so maybe later.

-AZ
Realight cameras are not legal in Michigan.

bigbluemsp

Cities receive less then 10% of the citation monies that come in.

The only departments that physically make money off tickets are the ones with Commercial Vehicle Enforcement teams.

Commercial Vehicle ticket money all goes back to the department and not to the court, county, or for leglislature retirement funds.

I posted the break down on here one time but that was almost 2 years ago...

KZOO probably wrote all moving violations under a city ordiance which then all the money goes to the city then.

If they write a state ticket it's like $5 per ticket goes to the jurisdiction that wrote it.

Status
Not open for further replies.