Police departments around Hays County and Texas State will stay connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
SAN MARCOS, Texas — Emergency responders for Hays County will be transitioning from their old 900MHz analog radio communication system to a new system that uses OpenSky digital technology. The update will replace outdated service radios in an effort to create a more efficient response environment for the local authorities using them.

City invests in new radio equipment | University Star

W6KRU

"Bell said the new OpenSky system would be a “robust radio system,” meaning it is expected to be reliable 100 percent of the time."

I have a feeling that they are going to come up short on their expectations.

Last edited:

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
That is weird, last I heard public safety agencies using the LCRA 900mhz system would move to there developing 700mhz P25 sites, which there are already a few of them up around the State and non public safety will move to the opensky system.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
“We are purely using county resources as means to fund this transition,” Turner said. “It is not funded by federal or state grants, nor by any municipal jurisdictions. The county will be using its own money to take care of its citizens.”

Ummmm ... because OpenSky is not interoperable the Feds and the State won't fund it. Hays County will regret their decision.

Last edited:

2wayfreq

Hmm,
From what I've read about other agencies experience with open sky, I never heard any reports of "Reliable 100% of the time". It was SLIGHTLY south of that mark. I hope they know what the're doing!

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
It's all smiles now and lawsuits later. It would be nice if agenices using taxpayer money would independently check for references, not just references given by the vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.