Police Frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb5103

Hello Fellow Radio Friends!

My name is Mark and I consistently listen to local Police/Fire broadcasts all day at work (Tamaqua Police, Fire, EMS). Problem is, that my Radio Shack scanner at home does not seem to pick up any broadcasts from certain local departments with the frequencies as listed on this website programmed. These departments include Rush and Ryan Township Police (Schuylkill Co, Pennsylvania).

Is it possible to get help with this?

captclint

Mentor
My name is Mark and I consistently listen to local Police/Fire broadcasts all day at work (Tamaqua Police, Fire, EMS). Problem is, that my Radio Shack scanner at home does not seem to pick up any broadcasts from certain local departments with the frequencies as listed on this website programmed. These departments include Rush and Ryan Township Police (Schuylkill Co, Pennsylvania).
Welcome to RR. Are you saying you hear Rush and Ryan at work, but not at home? If so, what is your location at work, and what scanner are you using for home and work? You have some hills in-between Delano and Ryan & Rush that would make it difficult to hear all but strong signals without an external antenna.

Also, bear in mind that Ryan is listed as Public works, and not PD. They may not be very active except in a large snow storm. Rush is listed as a TAC frequency, that is typically infrequent use, and mobile to mobile, which might be hard to receive more than 2-3 miles with a hand held scanner. Note: It is listed as RM(repeater), but there is no repeater license. I suspect that may be an error.

Last edited:

kb5103

Hello Captclint and thank you for your assistance.

I work in Tamaqua. The scanner there has Tamaqua fire, PD, and EMS frequencies programmed and works fine. However, when I attempted to program the Rush and Ryan frequencies in, they remained silent.

I live in Delano, and use a second scanner there. This is where the problem is. I have Rush PD and Schuylkill County Police (all 3 frequencies listed) programmed and usually don't hear anything.

I don't want to totally rule out your theory on the distance/antenna issue. However I have already programmed the Tamaqua PD frequency into my home scanner and while it is sometimes difficult to hear, I can hear it none the less.

I suppose the question before you is weather or not the frequencies for Rush and Ryan PD's listed are accurate and if not, how do I obtain them? I appreciate any info you may be able to provide and thank you in advance.

~Mark

dmg1969

Mark, I am not overly familiar with law enforcement in your county. My first thought would be to ask if you have programmed the county's 3 listed police channels...155.805, 155.745 and 151.325 into your home scanner. I would imagine that most of police activity in your county (dispatch, driver and registration checks, etc.) occurs on those channels and that the Rush Twp. PD channel gets little use. Also, as captclint said, there is no PD channel listed for Ryan Twp. That shows as a public works frequency. Try programming those 3 main police frequencies and see what happens.

captclint

Mentor
I suppose the question before you is weather or not the frequencies for Rush and Ryan PD's listed are accurate and if not, how do I obtain them? I appreciate any info you may be able to provide and thank you in advance.
I am not close enough to your location to verify either, but I do know the guy who listed the Rush PD freq. He is usually reliable. However, location is everything. If you have Rush and Ryan programed at work, you should hear them better than at home(due to hills and distance). As stated, their communication frequency may be quite sparse.

The reason you may hear Tamaqua better at home is the they transmit 120W(fairly high power), and their tower is elevated a little KGC516 (TAMAQUA, BOROUGH OF) FCC Callsign Details
What I don't understand is why you can't hear Sch County PD. They have 5 towers, and one is fairly close to Delano KDR480 (SCHUYLKILL, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details County Fire is another story. They are low band, and that travels further and better over hills. As you can see, location, terrain, tower height, and power make reception variable. Delano is in a valley surrounded on most sides by hills. I think that is the main factor. Try moving around the house in front of windows and 2nd floor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.