police going onto PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksig419

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to the police today and one officer told another to "Go public safety and tell me what his side of the story was and we will see if they match up or not." Now I am assuming that they are going to another channel or something and talk one on one, shouldn't i be able to hear that?. I have the scanner programmed with both trunked and conventional for the city and county that I live in but I could not hear anything that they were saying. Am I missing something here?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
It may be an unpublished frequency or depending on the radio, an encrypted channel. On some scanners, encrypted channels are silenced or bypassed. Some departments use old frequencies that have expired licenses for "private" conversations.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Well, started typing but guess I was too slow. Basically what jaspence said. I've also heard "public service" referred to meaning contact by telephone.

Jeff

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
In my immediate area officers refer to public service as a telephone. Could that be what they were referring to rather than public safety?

Sent from my N9101 using Tapatalk

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Public Safety could also be school campus or mall security or any type of campus police/security. It sounds like he was trying to meet up with the public safety officer to get information from them on what happened

Public Safety could also be school campus or mall security or any type of campus police/security. It sounds like he was trying to meet up with the public safety officer to get information from them on what happened

Ive also heard this,referring to campus PD.Sort of a tomayto-tomatoe thing.

n1das

Back in my early days of scanning over 30 years ago, I recall hearing the local cops say "I'll call you New England" or "I'll give you a New England" etc. I live in NH and "New England" referred to call by telephone and the local phone company at the time was New England Telephone.

Fast forward to today and they STILL use the same terminology! That was 4 telephone companies ago when they started using the term "New England". Old habits die hard.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.