• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Police Helicopter Frequencies

I've searched the forum and am having trouble finding the answer that I'm looking for. There may be multiple answers.

Say I want to monitor a police helicopter for a county that has a P25 system. Does the police helicopter have an ID on the same P25 system, or do police helicopters use frequencies of their own, something that may be more of an air type of frequency, or is it different depending on where you are in the US?

I assume it just depends on where you are, but was just wondering. Most of that around me is encrypted, but a lot is not. I just have never seen something representing a helicopter on the database listings. If it is there, I may have overlooked it, or it may be named something else.

I live in Walton County, GA which is encrypted. Nearby Gwinnett County is encrypted. I can pick up Atlanta P25 and Dekalb P25 from my office and was wondering how to find out what a police helicopter frequency or system is so I can monitor it. Once, I heard a police helicopter using 154.9050, but have not been able to hear any other agency on another frequency in a police helicopter.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

IAmSixNine

Premium Subscriber
Around where i am, there are two helicopters available. City and State. (Dallas and DPS Department of Public Safety) Dallas responds on/in Dallas first then can go into neighboring agencies if requested and available. DPS typically assists agencies outside of Dallas but the two have worked together on special ops.
They are two aspects to this. They are a helicopter first and have to abide by FAA rules. SO they use an airband radio to communicate with local towers just like other aircraft have to. In my area they will talk in the designated tower for their location but in Dallas County they have a specific aircraft helicopter channel that all helicopters monitor when in the air.
Second they are public safety vehicles. So they tend to have access to their agency and surrounding. DPS for example in my area does not have access to some of the agencies who are encrypted so they use law call / mutual aid channels.
But your local police helo may be set up differently when it comes to access to encrypted comms. Wish i could help more.

I've searched the forum and am having trouble finding the answer that I'm looking for. There may be multiple answers.

Say I want to monitor a police helicopter for a county that has a P25 system. Does the police helicopter have an ID on the same P25 system, or do police helicopters use frequencies of their own, something that may be more of an air type of frequency, or is it different depending on where you are in the US?

I assume it just depends on where you are, but was just wondering. Most of that around me is encrypted, but a lot is not. I just have never seen something representing a helicopter on the database listings. If it is there, I may have overlooked it, or it may be named something else.

I live in Walton County, GA which is encrypted. Nearby Gwinnett County is encrypted. I can pick up Atlanta P25 and Dekalb P25 from my office and was wondering how to find out what a police helicopter frequency or system is so I can monitor it. Once, I heard a police helicopter using 154.9050, but have not been able to hear any other agency on another frequency in a police helicopter.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Chris, I don't think you quite understand what goes on in the metro ATL area regarding LE helos. They can use whatever system they are on, or use simplex. Your chances of hearing them are going to be rare. You have a better chance of hearing news choppers, or medical helos. You were given a load of hooey in the GA forum on this same question.

And repeating the question here is just redundant. How police helicopters are used in other states and areas won't help you to understand how they are used in Georgia. Just saying. Been monitoring the metro area for twenty years. The last time I heard a helo on a system was over 11 years ago before Gwinnett went quiet.

Oh, and this is the wrong forum.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
A police helicopter is an expensive asset to that department so it can be operating on any given talkgroup.
Usually, from experience, they are parked on a headquarters channel, raised by dispatch, and then told to change channels to wherever the units on the ground needs it.

Listen for the tell-tale whooshing noise on the background, take note of the unit id (UID) and program that in your scanner. Next time the helo keys up, you'll have visual confirmation.

Yes, helicopters have their own radio or unit ID, just like any other radio on the system, sometimes more than one. Every time you hear the helo, pay attention to the UID. Over time, you will have all the unit id's that the helo use.

Depending on where you live, the aviation component of the PD, may or not, have their own talk group, or they could be lumped in with other specialized units in their own talk group. That's why you might not see it specified on the database, either nobody has contributed that data to the database or the helo does not have a talk group specifically named as such.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
A police helicopter is an expensive asset to that department so it can be operating on any given talkgroup.
Usually, from experience, they are parked on a headquarters channel, raised by dispatch, and then told to change channels to wherever the units on the ground needs it.

Listen for the tell-tale whooshing noise on the background, take note of the unit id (UID) and program that in your scanner. Next time the helo keys up, you'll have visual confirmation.

Yes, helicopters have their own radio or unit ID, just like any other radio on the system, sometimes more than one. Every time you hear the helo, pay attention to the UID. Over time, you will have all the unit id's that the helo use.

Depending on where you live, the aviation component of the PD, may or not, have their own talk group, or they could be lumped in with other specialized units in their own talk group. That's why you might not see it specified on the database, either nobody has contributed that data to the database or the helo does not have a talk group specifically named as such.
What he said....helicopters are multi-million dollar investments and the agencies that own them often assist other agencies, so they can and often do operate on every public safety radio system in their vicinity, regardless of band. Of course they also operate on AM air, and may use an air to air frequency for their agency, and probably one for air to air with other local aircraft. The Phoenix firebird helicopters pack more than a half dozen different radios for two way communication.