Police helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

Good Afternoon,
I live in Dothan AL. every once in a while I here the local PD call for a police helicopter to search for a person on the run etc. can someone tell me what frequencies that these helicopters are using if there is one ?
Thanks

ab5r

I would suspect that the helicopter would use the frequency pair of the department requesting them. It may be simplex depending on situation.

f2shooter

I used to do quite a bit of listening in Dothan. I was thinking the Dothan PD and maybe fire were on digital systems. I worked for the local paper in the area and they used a radio provided by the PD to keep up with what might be happening. Scanner at the time was nearly useless.

Rick H.

drummer2015

The Dale County Sheriffs Office provides the helicopter for law enforcement in Southeast Alabama. All of those agencies have their radios in the helicopter.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the agencies in that area, isn't that an awful lot of radios? The radio systems range from VHF to Phase II 700 mHz and 800 mHz, with virtually everything in between.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Looking at the agencies in that area, isn't that an awful lot of radios? The radio systems range from VHF to Phase II 700 mHz and 800 mHz, with virtually everything in between.

Likely the helicopter is equipped with a multi band Technisonic TDFM-9000(or 9100, 9200, 9300) http://www.til.ca/content/pdfs/TDFM-9000_Brochure.pdf

Those radios use Motorola XTS and APX portables making them VERY flexible LMR aircraft radios. Technisonic also has analogue low band and military airband moduals available as well.

According to the Technisonic site, the TDFM will support up to 6 APX-8000 all band radios. If there are trunk systems that the APX-8000 does not support(EDACS, NXDN, DMR, LTR), then they would require radios for those systems in the coverage area of the helicopter.

I would not want to be footing the bill for a TDFM-9000 with 6 APX-8000 portables, all loaded to the tits with options(AES, OTAR, OTAP, Phase 2 ect.)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Likely the helicopter is equipped with a multi band Technisonic TDFM-9000(or 9100, 9200, 9300) http://www.til.ca/content/pdfs/TDFM-9000_Brochure.pdf

Those radios use Motorola XTS and APX portables making them VERY flexible LMR aircraft radios. Technisonic also has analogue low band and military airband moduals available as well.

According to the Technisonic site, the TDFM will support up to 6 APX-8000 all band radios. If there are trunk systems that the APX-8000 does not support(EDACS, NXDN, DMR, LTR), then they would require radios for those systems in the coverage area of the helicopter.

I would not want to be footing the bill for a TDFM-9000 with 6 APX-8000 portables, all loaded to the tits with options(AES, OTAR, OTAP, Phase 2 ect.)

I guess that would work but you're right, I wouldn't want a pay for it. Some sort of a federal and/or state grant might ease the pain. I don't want to talk about repairs or maintenance. That's gotta be outta sight, too.

emcom

We use 700 up here in Madison Co. I kept my old VHF in my car and was recently able to coordinate a search with ALEA on 155.010 and the ground units on 700 while also manning a traffic control point ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.