Police in ER's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago2210

Hello, in my eleven years of scanning I have heard CPD get called to hospitals very frequently. I take it it's very common to see cop's in ER's? Also any Firefighters/paramedics how common would you say it is to see cops in ER's? And in you experience what are they typically there for? Thanks.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Well, I can think of a few reasons why.

1.) Security.
2.) Inmates who are in the custody of the Police/Corrections who need emergency medical service.
3.) Injury occurring during arrest or commission of a crime.
4.) Trouble makers harassing doctors/medical staff for prescriptions, etc. Abusers of the system.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Also, if doctors or medical staff suspect any sort of neglect or abuse to children/elderly or any sort of troubling parental issues, they are probably required to report to law enforcement.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Police getting calls for service at hospital ERs is a common occurrence here. Assault and gunshot victims get dropped off or even drive themselves to the hospital. The doctors and nurses are required by law to report those circumstances to the police. Same applies to suspected or confirmed cases of child/elder abuse.

Other reasons for police presence could include officers working an off-duty security detail or they might be "sitting" on a psych patient or prisoner while they receive medical evaluations and treatment.

Jim41

Hello, in my eleven years of scanning I have heard CPD get called to hospitals very frequently. I take it it's very common to see cop's in ER's? Also any Firefighters/paramedics how common would you say it is to see cops in ER's? And in you experience what are they typically there for? Thanks.

Police routinely go to the ER to interview injured victims of motor vehicle accidents. This is a common occurrence in my area.

Jim41

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
In the largest hospital here, security is performed by deputy sheriffs who are employed by the hospital. They are certified law enforcement officers with full arrest powers. Of course, local police officers frequent the hospital (mostly ER) for all the reasons listed above.

CSL126

I've worked in multiple ERs across the country and I can tell you that lwvmobile pretty much mentioned every reason that you'd see a police presence. Out of every other unit within the hospital, the ER is the most common place for violence to occur. I think the mixing of different patient populations is the main contributing factor. It's one of the few places where you'll mix the general public with homicidal psychiatric patients and trauma patients that present due to gang-related violence. People often want to file police reports after presenting to the hospital as well.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes they're present to protect the patient from harm or attempted murder from a hit man, gang member, disgruntled spouse, ETC.

RFI-EMI-GUY

This was an interesting incident where a MVA Burn Victim, an innocent victim of a police initiated chase where another fleeing driver crashed into him.

Police wanted to collect blood sample from the unconscious victim, likely to use if there was further litigation involving the PD if he were DUI, though there was no indication of this. The detective assaulted/arrested the nurse who was refusing to permit taking of a blood sample (no patient consent possible).

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Didn't you ask this same question on in the CARMA Facebook group weeks ago? The answers are probably the same

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Of course. Haven't you ever watched Medical Center, Emergency, Adam-12 re-runs? They were always in the ER talking to Bobby Troup or Chad Everett or (Dix) the nurse. ;0)

kd1sq

Database Admin
Yes, valid reasons given. Two main ones are to prevent escape, other to protect the medical staff and public.

I recall watching an inmate getting medical treatment and he was giving the nurse a hard time.

He behaved himself after I remarked that if he didn't, I'd suggest the nurse do the blood draw from the bridge of his nose.

Interesting side note - Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital in Lebanon, NH and the Vermont DOC dress inmates and nurses in almost identical outfits. More than once I've done a double take when I thought I saw an escapee strolling the corridors there.

Status
Not open for further replies.