Police lingo: What does "HPD" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Here it is still give me a 21 or call me on the bell.
Here it's "Signal 6," though I used to hear "TX me" a lot. In the pre-cellular days "TX (or Signal 6) Dispatch" was common when they had something they didn't want to put over the air, meant go find a pay phone and call in collect. When they say, "Signal 6 my cell if you have any service," it makes me wonder who they think they're trying to fool.:unsure:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Call me is "21" (10-21) or "Public service" in the SE, on the Railroad (in the SE), it's the "Bell system"

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Another one I've heard is "HB and L" which I am pretty sure means House Break-in and Larceny

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Call me is "21" (10-21) or "Public service" in the SE, on the Railroad (in the SE), it's the "Bell system"

I've heard that (Bell system) here also. They used it when their attempts at making calls on their RF based PBX channels failed after tons of attempts. Others would get frustrated hearing them trying to dial and then an unknown user would come on the air and say use the Bell System.

Reactions: RRR

brettbolt

Another one I hear is "HNS". Is it "Harmful Narcotic Substance"? The context was "... males at a table doing HNS...".

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
HBO, handled by officer. UTL, unable to locate. RBA, really bad attitude. James Bond Ears... Scanner folk known to monitor.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Most nurses and a lot of police and EMTs the term "High Five" to describe someone, and it might be written as "Hi V."

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I have heard "HPD" often when listening to police on the radio. The context is usually something like "That subject may be HPD".

What does it mean?
I remember one police agency many years ago that used HPD meaning high on pills and drugs.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Open channel "D".

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

City PD used to say go to TAC now they just say Code 5 and the County SO says Code 10; both mean go to the ENC channel.

MOSWIN a state wide system in MO is not supposed to use any codes but speak in plain common English. My understanding is that the Federal money that was used to build the system was designed to improve interoperability between different public safety groups in times when they must work together. However, on occasion you will hear them using Ten Codes like 10-50 J1 or J2 or J3 or J4 for an auto accident with the J1-4 denoting how serious the situation is with respect to injuries and road blockage.

However, I have lived from Texas to North Dakota and 10-50 did not always mean a car wreck.

DJ11DLN

City PD used to say go to TAC now they just say Code 5 and the County SO says Code 10; both mean go to the ENC channel.

MOSWIN a state wide system in MO is not supposed to use any codes but speak in plain common English. My understanding is that the Federal money that was used to build the system was designed to improve interoperability between different public safety groups in times when they must work together. However, on occasion you will hear them using Ten Codes like 10-50 J1 or J2 or J3 or J4 for an auto accident with the J1-4 denoting how serious the situation is with respect to injuries and road blockage.

However, I have lived from Texas to North Dakota and 10-50 did not always mean a car wreck.
Correct, plain English was supposed to be required. But they all still use their 10-codes and ISP Signal codes here too. They got on us on the Fire/EMS side of things a few years back to "get in compliance," less jargon is used there than on the LE side and that hasn't changed. If anything they've reverted back to using more jargon.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Y'all have it easy, even with the 10-codes. Here in Columbus (GA), 4-digit codes are used and they can be "conjugated."

The numbers start at 7100 (and I don't know why). They run up to the 9000s. The idea behind it was to better classify and, hopefully, distribute the calls to the officers on the streets and to study the kinds of incidents to which the officers respond..

An example of the system: A 7500 is a business burglary; a 7501 is a business burglary in progress; 7502 is a business burglary attempt. A 7510 is a residential burglary and those same secondary number still apply. A 7300 is an armed robbery.

Then there are codes for other activities: 9200 is follow-up activity, 8300 is a fire, 8100 a non-injury auto crash, 8110 is an injury crash, etc. There are numbers for going to HQ or precinct, going to court, out to eat, etc

There are a few 10-codes still used. Some include 10-4, acknowledge; 10-5 relay; 10-6, busy, 10-18, hurry; 10-20, location; 10-88, warrant check, etc.

From a statistical point-of-view, it's great. It can be a pain in the whatever for the officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.