Police Officer Charged W/Manslaughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
It's a hot issue here in CT. This happened about 5 minutes from my home. Read the arrest warrant and get a better idea of just how bad this incident was and why. You will be shocked and amazed! Ckeck out the dash cam from the other ofcs. car. Its bad news for all involved!
milford-Cop-was-going-94mph-at-time-of-orange-crash-wtnh.com-connecticut

Manny
This is a case of DUI and failure to yield by the people in the civilian car. If the Cop was doing sixty the results would have been the same. I doubt if a jury will convict for manslaughter, but may convict on a lesser charge.

N1SQB

This is a case of DUI and failure to yield by the people in the civilian car. If the Cop was doing sixty the results would have been the same. I doubt if a jury will convict for manslaughter, but may convict on a lesser charge.
I dont quite agree!
There are indications that alchohol may have played a role, yes, but that is just a small contributing factor in the grand scheme of things. The teenagers misjudged the speed of the oncoming cruiser. What you have to ask yourself is this: given that it was dark, the time of the morning it was and their lack of driving experience (both victims were 19) how would anyone else under those exact circumstances react? Who, regardless of driving experience, can say that they would know how to gage a vehicle coming at them at 94 mph at any time let alone at night? They could have been gaging the other cops car who, while also speeding past the posted speed limit, was not going nearly as fast as his buddy was on the right lane no less. They made a dumb mistake crossing that road, but then again, that is teenagers for you. How many of us made dumb mistakes when we first started driving? The heart of the problem as I see it is this: You have a sworn police officer, on duty, in a police cruiser, clearly going way past the posted speed limit for NO LEGAL REASON, without lights or sirens. The reason? Racing his buddy back to town. They were horsing around when they thought nobody was watching and the result was the loss of 2 teenage lives. They thought at that moment that they were above the law. If you read the arrest warrant it says very clearly: for the 8.8 seconds prior to the crash, the police officer's cruiser had the gas pedal at 100% of its capacity and the engine throtle was at 95.5% capacity.........Need I say more? The car was flying. Speaking of flying, 94 mph is more than the 80 knots most small airplanes need to take off on a runway. He traveled almost the length of a football field in under 3 seconds. This was a road with a speed limit posted at 40 mph in a business district. There was no reason for these two cops to be racing down this road. None!

Manny

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
While you might be convinced it is very hard to get a entire jury to agree with you that a driver that ignored a stop light and was intoxicated is not at fault in a traffic accident.

JoeyC

If the Cop was doing sixty the results would have been the same. I doubt if a jury will convict for manslaughter, but may convict on a lesser charge.
At 60, he would have had better control of the vehicle, more reaction time to steer and break and possibly could have avoided the imminant collision.
It is difficult to tell if the DUI vehicle is making an illegal left turn, aside from the fact that he is DUI and failed to judge the approaching cop cars speed in light of the blinking red he turned on.
The cop is clearly at fault.

N1SQB

While you might be convinced it is very hard to get a entire jury to agree with you that a driver that ignored a stop light and was intoxicated is not at fault in a traffic accident.
I worked for the judicial system (9 years) in the district that this case will be tried in. One thing I know is jurys are impossible to predict.I never said that it was all the cop's fault and the teenagers were totally blameless. Obviously they have to share some of the blame for driving impaired. Had the ofcs. involved here been doing the speed limit or close to it, this case might be looked at a little differently. However, there was such a blatant disregard for the law on the part of both ofcs., that I believe it will be next to impossible NOT to get a conviction. The fact that the teenagers cut in front of him is a small factor in comparison to the sworn police ofc. who should have and did know better. Because he had a higher level of training, there is a higher level of compliance expected on his part. He is held to a higher standard.
This , I believe, is what will put the last nail on his coffin.....

Manny

shaft

Premium Subscriber
At 60, there would not have been a crash, the video from the cruiser that witnessed the crash proves this point. If both officers would have been traveling the speed limit, the vehicle that was turning left in front of the officers would have been far ahead of them and would have made the turn successfully.

N1SQB

At 60, there would not have been a crash, the video from the cruiser that witnessed the crash proves this point. If both officers would have been traveling the speed limit, the vehicle that was turning left in front of the officers would have been far ahead of them and would have made the turn successfully.
Very good point, I hadn't thought of that!

Manny

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Police Officer charged With Manslaughter

If he is lucky he may get a job in security when this is all behind him. The other victims of this unfortunate tragedy is "HIS" family too, however the teens are not here to excersize that option, All I can say to all the bleeding heart liberals out there in la la land who feel that this technology is a violation of their civil rights is, thank God for dashcams. Now can we in respect to all parties involved, put this to rest.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Some seem to forget "apportioned liability" where insurance claims are concerned. No, this is not an insurance case but I'm making a point, both drivers were at fault to one degree or another and in a claims settlement payment is based on apportioned liability. The cop being liable in part was charged accordingly, likewise the other driver had the kids survived, if the passenger was killed the driver could additionally be charged with manslaughter as the cop was.

Now that leaves me to wonder if civil charges may be brought against the host of the party. In some states he may be held criminally responsible for DUI, otherwise there is contributory negligence, proximate cause, etc.

Bottom line is here you need two (or three) fingers to point the blame, it's not a choice of one over the other.

RayAir

How unnecessary. 2 young lives gone. Both parties at fault, but probably more so the cop. Driving 94mph down a city street and not responding to any call, c'mon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.