Police on 166.920 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanbergld

Here in Richmond I receive 2-way police transmissions on 166.920 MHz. It seems to emanate from the NoVA or Washington DC area, judging from the landmarks given ("Four Mile Run" and "Piney Branch Parkway"). There's much radio traffic on this frequency and I hear plenty of traffic stops. However, I can find no FCC license for 166.920 MHz in either Distict of Columbia or Virginia.

Larry

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Another way of tracking down frequencies is to look at the frequency pool listed under 90.20 for Public Safety and 90.35 for the Industrial/Business frequency pool. These two sections also contain any restrictions associated with each frequency. 166.920 doesn't appear to be a valid Public Safety or Commercial frequency. It may be a military or government frequency.
BB

ecps92

Change your channel spacing (Federal Bands) to be 12.5 Khz and the Frequencies will not round-up/down 162.9250 is the correct Freq for the NPS Police in DC

Here in Richmond I receive 2-way police transmissions on 166.920 MHz. It seems to emanate from the NoVA or Washington DC area, judging from the landmarks given ("Four Mile Run" and "Piney Branch Parkway"). There's much radio traffic on this frequency and I hear plenty of traffic stops. However, I can find no FCC license for 166.920 MHz in either Distict of Columbia or Virginia.

Larry

Most Federal Allocations will never be found in the FCC DB, they are handled by the NTIA and are not public

Another way of tracking down frequencies is to look at the frequency pool listed under 90.20 for Public Safety and 90.35 for the Industrial/Business frequency pool. These two sections also contain any restrictions associated with each frequency. 166.920 doesn't appear to be a valid Public Safety or Commercial frequency. It may be a military or government frequency.
BB

ecps92

Correction 166.9250 *(fat fingers)

Change your channel spacing (Federal Bands) to be 12.5 Khz and the Frequencies will not round-up/down 162.9250 is the correct Freq for the NPS Police in DC

Most Federal Allocations will never be found in the FCC DB, they are handled by the NTIA and are not public

lanbergld

Ok, thank you very much. Boy, they sure are active for Park Police. It was around midnight and during a ten minute span I must've heard about a dozen traffic stops. Anyhow, the correct frequency of 166.925 is duly noted. Thank you.

Although I live in Richmond and don't have an outdoor antenna, I routinely get things out of the NoVA/DC/MD - and even Pennsylvania sometimes. For example, I get Loudon County Fire on 46.38 MHz fairly good, and a taxicab service out of DC somewhere in the 400 MHz , I think 460 MHz, band. Down on VHF low - which is actually my favorite band to surf through - I've gotten small, rural fire departments from western Maryland and adjacent parts of Pennsylvania.

I use a Yaesu FRG-9600, not a typical police scanner. An upconverter for shortwave takes me down to VHF low. Too much information, I know. But I love my Frog.

Larry

KB7MIB

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Park_Police

One of the oldest federal law enforcement agencies in the United States, they have both federal and state law enforcement authority, primarily in and around Washington, D.C. as well as San Francisco and New York City.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I remember the USPP helicopter that rescued victims from the plane that crashed into the Potomac River.

Actually they are the oldest uniformed federal police in the US. There are about 100 federal law enforcement agencies in the US.

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Although I live in Richmond and don't have an outdoor antenna, I routinely get things out of the NoVA/DC/MD - and even Pennsylvania sometimes.
Yep, daily I can listen to Montgomery County Maryland's Fire Dispatch (simulcast/patch from TRS) on 154.160 which is also Chesterfield Co.'s VHF simulcast frequency. If the conditions are really open, I can even hear them with a portable!

Status
Not open for further replies.