Police radar detector information needed !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,I just bought a radar detector and i tried it out by speeding all around town last night....I got pulled over, haha....I got a warning ! ! On the bottom of the ticket it has the option to check, - radar, lidar, vascar, and other , the officer checked other.. ..My detector did not go off or do anything...Does anyone have any information on here or is there inside information on this web site about using a radar detector, and how trust worthy they are?
"My guess" is the officer did not have a radar on at the time and he clocked me with his speedometer while he paced behind me....Ohh yea he also said to me afterwards "your radar detector didnt work huh".

Thank you rr community for reading this and hope that there is people that can broaden my horizon on this subject!!

JoeyC

Too bad alls you got was a warning. Next time you may find yourself rolled off the side of the road with rescue personnel cutting you out of your vehicle, or you may wake up in a trauma bed at Johns Hopkins. There is no reason for "speeding all around town" even if it were to test your worthless radar detector.

Grow up and drive responsibly.

For those of you who don't like that or feel that it doesn't answer the question, -TOUGH S$|+

Vschlitz

Two options, the officer noticed you were driving at a speed greater then the posted limit, or he was pacing you.

I personally have a Valentine One, it's a bit pricey but works pretty good. Nothing will allow you to slow down in time with laser. When you vehicle is painted by the beam your detector will activiate as it should but at the split second they have your speed. The instant on radar is another tuff one. You may pickup stray signal from the vehicles that are in front of you for which the officer is obtaining the speed of.

You are lucky you got a warning.

A friend of mine (police officer) and I ran tests. I drove my car equipped with a V1, he used insta on, and always on. I would go to the other side of town about 2 miles, when he turned the radar on and left it on, I would start picking it up from a fairly far distance more then enough to slow down. But the insta on was a bit harder. If there was traffic in front of me that he suspected driving to fast, he'd pull the trigger and my alarm would sound even though I was not the target. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
JoeyC said:
Too bad alls you got was a warning. Next time you may find yourself rolled off the side of the road with rescue personnel cutting you out of your vehicle, or you may wake up in a trauma bed at Johns Hopkins. There is no reason for "speeding all around town" even if it were to test your worthless radar detector.

Grow up and drive responsibly.

For those of you who don't like that or feel that it doesn't answer the question, -TOUGH S$|+

Thank you very much, maybe that will happen to you as well.....

Vschlitz said:
Two options, the officer noticed you were driving at a speed greater then the posted limit, or he was pacing you.

I personally have a Valentine One, it's a bit pricey but works pretty good. Nothing will allow you to slow down in time with laser. When you vehicle is painted by the beam your detector will activiate as it should but at the split second they have your speed. The instant on radar is another tuff one. You may pickup stray signal from the vehicles that are in front of you for which the officer is obtaining the speed of.

You are lucky you got a warning.

A friend of mine (police officer) and I ran tests. I drove my car equipped with a V1, he used insta on, and always on. I would go to the other side of town about 2 miles, when he turned the radar on and left it on, I would start picking it up from a fairly far distance more then enough to slow down. But the insta on was a bit harder. If there was traffic in front of me that he suspected driving to fast, he'd pull the trigger and my alarm would sound even though I was not the target. Does that make sense?

From what I understand a radar uses a certain freq. which detectors have programmed in them to go off when they see that freq.
Thats about all I know on the subject .

tbnmaster

marylandterpan said:
Thank you very much, maybe that will happen to you as well.....

Probably not, because he is a RESPONSIBLE driver. Maybe you won't end up in the hospital. Maybe the ones that end up in the hospital are the innocent families that you plow into while "speeding around town".

Unbelievable.

I email blantonal web master about the information and name calling on this thread...

This web site is about teaming up on someone that is new, i dont need this web site if this is what its about.

im sure there is nice friendly people in other web sites

why did someone call me a jerkoff ....

immature is conflicting which i want no part of

tbnmaster

marylandterpan said:
This web site is about teaming up on someone that is new, i dont need this web site if this is what its about.

Nope, thats not what this website is about. This could have been avoided if you would have simply asked a question instead of spilling your guts about crimes you committed last night.

marylandterpan said:

I agree, this was not appropriate.

Gary335

Ihave a question: How did a thread on this topic ever end up here, in the Maryland scanning forum? It has absolutley nothing to do with scanning!

PortCop

There are 2 definitions as per Dictionary.com
Definition #1 seems to fit

jerk-off  Show Spelled Pronunciation[jurk-awf, -of]
–noun Slang (vulgar).
1. a stupid, bumbling, foolish, or lazy person; jerk.

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
marylandterpan said:
I email blantonal web master about the information and name calling on this thread...

im sure there is nice friendly people in other web sites

immature is conflicting which i want no part of

If you buy a radar dectector you should first know something about what you are buying and how to properly use it. The name calling is not condonned, but putting people's life at risk for your own fun,,,,,,if the shoe fits/ wear it.
"
"immature is conflicting which i want no part of"........ Are you sure of that?

Mark Former member Southern Maryland firemans Association.

Last edited:

JohnWayne

Here's some info you should probably be aware of: It takes approximately one second for most radar detectors to alert you to the radar signal, but it takes approximately 1/10 of a second for the radar to lock on to your speed. You have no chance against an officer running instant-on.

Also, I observed Oklahoma Highway Patrol running aircraft vascar operations on I-35 on Labor Day. No radar detector would have helped a speeder in that situation. Of course, the scanner listening to 45.22MHz helped :)

Jeff

Premium Subscriber
I personally love people with radar detectors...because they slow down no matter what. That having been said, with the new radar technology out there, it's a losing game trying to beat it. My 'hold' button defeats radar every...single...time...and LIDAR/VASCAR pretty much makes most RD's useless, IMO. It's an expensive gadget, nothing more, nothing less. And....lots of coppers automatically write tickets to people they 'catch' with radar detectors....so you got off lucky, esp if you are a kid with a provisional drivers license (I woulda wrote ya).

Just my 2 cents...

Oh..one last bit....having a radar detector is flat out illegal on Federal installations, no matter who you are...plugged in or not...word to the wise...drive safer and slower....

4909 said:
I personally love people with radar detectors...because they slow down no matter what. That having been said, with the new radar technology out there, it's a losing game trying to beat it. My 'hold' button defeats radar every...single...time...and LIDAR/VASCAR pretty much makes most RD's useless, IMO. It's an expensive gadget, nothing more, nothing less. And....lots of coppers automatically write tickets to people they 'catch' with radar detectors....so you got off lucky, esp if you are a kid with a provisional drivers license (I woulda wrote ya).

Just my 2 cents...

Oh..one last bit....having a radar detector is flat out illegal on Federal installations, no matter who you are...plugged in or not...word to the wise...drive safer and slower....

Yes 10-4 to that !

Thats how accidents happen, someone wants to always be a hero, act like there so smart, and save the day. But there always " IN THE WAY" type of people. So we nice people have to be nice and give them there moment of fame, cause we feel sorry for them. I guess there family was never there for them so they "ACT OUT" on a web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.