Police scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

catken

I am looking for a hand held scanner. Not knowing anything about them, I began surfing the web. After reading a few websites, they suggested I needed a digital trunk scanner which was no be thing till I saw the price. Can I get by with a lesser expensive unit or would I be wasting my money.

sbloftness

Premium Subscriber
Dont waist your time! I had an analog Radio Shak handheld scanner. Fewer and fewer emergency services still on analog systems. In MN they will all be switching to the new digital Armer system. Thus you will need to buy a digital trunking scanner to listen to all police, fire, and many others. I bought a Radio Shak Pro-106. Was $400. Got it on sale for $360. I did look on E-bay and saw some used ones on there, but did not want to take that chance of buying a used one. Good luck!

catken

Police Scanner

Thanks for your reply. I saw one at Fleetfarm for $80.00 and thought it might be a good cheap hobby for me and my grand kids. I looked at some analogue scanners for $200.00 and would have been willing to invest that much. At $400.00 I think I can find something cheaper to do with my time. As many things do, maybe their come down in price.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Welcome Catken! It's always nice to have new blood around here :)

Sadly, You can't get away with anything cheaper. Some areas aren't digital yet, but will be changing soon as the previous poster eluded to.

Myself, having all the current models of digital scanners, I would tend to recommend the PSR-800 to people looking to get into the hobby. It's one of the easiest to get up and running, and offers the ability to record what you hear. The other easy to operate scanner out there would be the Uniden HomePatrol, but it's not really a hand held, and is awkward to carry with you. (It also tends to be more expensive)

We, in the MN Forum, will be happy to answer any questions you have as you get started. You also may enjoy coming to the get-togethers that occur every few months, it's a great place to meet others with the same interests, and find used scanners.

catken

Thanks everyone for your time and expertise in answering my questions. I'll keep checking on Ebay and Amazon for the PSR 800 with hope that down the road that they will become more affordable. Until then I guess I'll just stick with the hobbies I have. Thanks again Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.