Police Scanning, Sunshine Coast Queensland/South East Corner (-Brisbane) Inquiries.

ecola3

Hi all. I'm looking into buying some digital scanning equipment for hobby scanning and listening in the Sunshine Coast and SE corner, Queensland area. Per the radio reference database, the Sunshine Coast police radio is Analog, and i'm not sure whether it is encrypted. There are channels listed under both Analog and UHF HGS that are publicly streamable on broadcastify (Cairns, Mareeba, Rockhampton), so without equipment i'm obviously unable to determine what frequencies are definitely going to be encrypted. Not too keen on dropping 4-6 hundred bucks on equipment that i can't use much.

I've also noticed that news camera crews in places that are listed under "Analog" are getting to scenes unusually quick (North Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville, Ipswich), and i haven't seen the same in districts that are definitely 100% encrypted (Brisbane). So, does anybody have a list or first hand experience with police frequencies in the South East that currently remain unencrypted?

Sorry if i'm not using the correct nomenclature, i'm a newbie. Cheers.

BC_Scan

welcome here, if you want to listen to police , you might be a little late to the party, with the trend around the world for encryption your area might become if it hasnt, scanning for many like me is about hearing stuff, could be a plane a train a boat etc, sadly with ENC many public service type agencies are drinking the coolaid, because of a mistaken belief ,
the easiest way to start in 2024 in this hobby is with an inexpensive dongle aka SDR software defined radio , allows you to tune into a wide spectrum of things then from there if you can hear your target consider a radio scanner , uniden is the real only game in town , over here on the best coast :cool:;)(Pacific Northwest) Canada , Vancouver has been on lockdown for comm forever, but when i drive south to Seattle, its refreshing to hear police again on a modern trunked system !
so pick your poison, and enjoy the hobby for what it is.
and all the info you need about frequency etc is here

Kazzaw

Database Admin
A little late here sorry, I forget this subforum exists sometimes.

Anywhere within the South East Corner is on the GWN (GWN (Government Wireless Network) Trunking System, Statewide, Queensland) which is fully encrypted for all users.

This network extends south to the border, north to Gympie and west to Bowenville (Jondaryan). Anywhere outside of this area you will get EMS through analog networks.

I've updated the QPS database to reflect this. The whole database really needs re-work, but I don't have the time at present to do so.

Last edited:

ecola3

A little late here sorry, I forget this subforum exists sometimes.

Anywhere within the South East Corner is on the GWN (GWN (Government Wireless Network) Trunking System, Statewide, Queensland) which is fully encrypted for all users.

This network extends south to the border, north to Gympie and west to Bowenville (Jondaryan). Anywhere outside of this area you will get EMS through analog networks.

I've updated the QPS database to reflect this. The whole database really needs re-work, but I don't have the time at present to do so.
Thank you very much, exactly the info i needed.