Police Talk-Around Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Does anyone know any of the police talk-around frequencies. I was listening to a call in Granby and the police said "switch to the talk-around channel". I'm assuming these frequencies are not repeated, so I don't know if I would be able to hear them anyways. Just curious. Thanks.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
could be RAFS-2 460.175 I hear random agencies on there at times.

Does anyone know any of the police talk-around frequencies. I was listening to a call in Granby and the police said "switch to the talk-around channel". I'm assuming these frequencies are not repeated, so I don't know if I would be able to hear them anyways. Just curious. Thanks.

KB1JHU

The term "talkaround" is sometimes misused but it's supposed to mean they would be talking to each other on the repeater output frequency, which would be the same frequency you have programmed in your scanner but it will be lower power, either from a portable or mobile radio rather than from the powerful repeater with an antenna in an elevated area. If you are nearby you can usually hear the mobiles and if you are really close, you should be able to hear portables.

scanningisfun

I heard that exact same thing. You beat me to making a new thread. What was the call for; I forgot.

Jacob

scanningisfun

The term "talkaround" is sometimes misused but it's supposed to mean they would be talking to each other on the repeater output frequency, which would be the same frequency you have programmed in your scanner but it will be lower power, either from a portable or mobile radio rather than from the powerful repeater with an antenna in an elevated area. If you are nearby you can usually hear the mobiles and if you are really close, you should be able to hear portables.

This is what I would think. When I looked at their license on the FCC (KNBU649), I saw that there was also a Mobile/MO station class under 460.5250 which is the repeater output. That same Mobile category is also under 460.5250 which is the repeater input. That would lead me to believe that when they go to talk around, they are just doing what KB1JHU said.

KNBU649 on the FCC ULS:
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KNBU649 - GRANBY, TOWN OF - Frequencies Summary

Jacob

scanner404

Feed Provider
That makes sense to me. Same frequency, just a lower power. I think the call was for the 10-43 call we had on Granville Rd. last week.

scanner404

Feed Provider
That's a negative on the Facebook. Who would be smart enough to dump hot ashes outside during a red flag warning?

Jacob

You should get one, it's free and a great way to chat with people, but IDK, firebugs I guess. Hopefully next time when their house burns down, they will realize the dangers of such an act. Like Smoky the bear always says, "Only you can prevent wild fires". But anyways, I'm listening to your online feed and Granby is coming in really scrambled, maybe it's just a range issue, but I really can't hear anything on yours compared to mine.

scanningisfun

You should get one, it's free and a great way to chat with people, but IDK, firebugs I guess. Hopefully next time when their house burns down, they will realize the dangers of such an act. Like Smoky the bear always says, "Only you can prevent wild fires". But anyways, I'm listening to your online feed and Granby is coming in really scrambled, maybe it's just a range issue, but I really can't hear anything on yours compared to mine.

My feed uses my old pro 79 scanner. It's pretty bad. Where I am located has to do with a big part of it. I use my BCD396XT for everything now. Waiting on another scanner to come out.

Jacob

scanner404

Feed Provider
Now, that that question is answered, does anyone know what Granby's back-up/channel 2 is? During the October storm I often heard them on RAFS, but I'm not sure what other channels they could use when need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.