Police traffic stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
To the point of the original post I can tell you that as long time listener that the amount of PD traffic over the air has dropped dramaticly over the last 10 or more years. I have smaller departments in my area, the ones that are still in the clear, that are nearly dead over the air- sometimes for hours at a time. I chalked most of this up to MDT use.

Good discussion and a lot of valid points raised.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
That's the case in Columbus, GA. Routine police calls such as "see a party," parking complaints, etc., are dispatched through the MDT.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Here in NJ, my department uses InfoCop in the cars that are equipped with MDT's. I know in my experience that it is down at times therefore having to radio in to get a read back on a plate. Also, I know from my dispatching experience that NCIC is the most up to date information as opposed to Info Cop.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
NCIC does not have any registration information. That comes from state sources. NCIC has information on what we lovingly call "wants or warrants."

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
NCIC does not have any registration information. That comes from state sources. NCIC has information on what we lovingly call "wants or warrants."
I get registration info on NCIC 2000 no problem in addition to warrants and record checks.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
NCIC does not have registration information. When you run a tag, the information is routed first to NCIC. They check for any entries but they also route it the respective state registration files for owner, insurance and sometimes even lien holder information. That information is routed back to NCIC and back to your terminal. It doesn't come from NCIC, it comes through NCIC.

NCIC doesn't care whether the car is registered. Only the state cares.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Here in NJ, my department uses InfoCop in the cars that are equipped with MDT's. I know in my experience that it is down at times therefore having to radio in to get a read back on a plate. Also, I know from my dispatching experience that NCIC is the most up to date information as opposed to Info Cop.

I thought is was called “InfoCom.” Is it Cop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecps92

No I did not, because I don't know you and I take seriously the information that State Systems, DMV and NCIC can/do provide for the appropriate personnel to perform their jobs

Not exactly the same thing.

You do realize, I posted that in jest - right?

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Hit_Factor

No I did not, because I don't know you and I take seriously the information that State Systems, DMV and NCIC can/do provide for the appropriate personnel to perform their jobs

So much of communication is non-verbal. Written words often suffer, that's why I included the wink ;) emoticon. Here is a list of emoticons and it may help you decode the message.

I am a retired Police Sergeant, having started in Ferndale, MI I might have known some of the DPD Officers the previous post was referring to. I ended my career in N.H., it's likely I was involved in enforcement action in your home state. Now you know a little about me. :)

ecps92

Still don't know you emoticon emoticon emoticon
So much of communication is non-verbal. Written words often suffer, that's why I included the wink ;) emoticon. Here is a list of emoticons and it may help you decode the message.

I am a retired Police Sergeant, having started in Ferndale, MI I might have known some of the DPD Officers the previous post was referring to. I ended my career in N.H., it's likely I was involved in enforcement action in your home state. Now you know a little about me. :)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The daily upload is usually sufficient to catch most lawbreakers. Anything beyond that is for BOLO's and the like. Our state police has what they call items, which are broadcast every 8 hours at shift change or updated immediatly if needed via a hotline (Still old hoot and holler phone line).

A lot of officers DON"T want the responsibility to run plates for the reasons mentioned above. They let the dispatcher do it and let them put a log entry as to why. That's the way I did it when I dispatched many moons ago.

CaptDan

Actually in New Jersey, a NCIC request, no how it is entered, a hand held cellular device, a MDT or a desk top automatically gets routed thru SCIC first. I believe this is true of other states also, but cannot say for sure.

jmp883

I've been dispatching in northern NJ for close to 30 years now. When I started the only computer in the entire department was the NCIC/NJ DMV terminal in dispatch. There was no computerized traffic/criminal warrant system, and the patrol cars only had a radio and siren/light control box. Now everything is done via computer and our cars look like an airplane flight deck with multiple radio heads, siren/light box, radar heads, car camera, and a laptop.

In my department the officers still must call out their stops. The information will not be read back by dispatch unless the officers request it. As has been stated previously it is all for officer safety and accountability. Our fleet is also equipped with plate readers. If the officers get a hit on a license plate, for any reason, they will initiate a traffic stop, calling it out to dispatch. They will also advise dispatch that they have a plate reader hit to make sure that dispatch also runs the plate and takes the appropriate actions (dispatch is supposed to run every plate called in, but sometimes we're busy inside and we don't always get to that right away-letting us know they have a plate hit gives us an appreciated heads-up).

K5mow

Also a lot of the time The computer can be so slow. You can be in an area you’re not getting good Signal. Working for a police department for many years and the computers work most of the time but sometimes it can be easier for an officer to call in their information.

I am not a piece officer. I have work animal control for 12 months and now for the last five years facilities manager. Definitely have used the computers for probably five years before I took over as manager. We use the OSI software. It can be so testy.

CaptDan

Ha - people want to talk about "when they started" when I started a look up of a license plate required a voice phone call to DMV HQ at 25 South Montgomery Street in Trenton, you had to have the "code of the month" and the person who answered the phone would have to go to a bank of file cabinets and look thru paper cards on file to get the information.

How things have changed !

phask

Premium Subscriber
Ha - people want to talk about "when they started" when I started a look up of a license plate required a voice phone call to DMV HQ at 25 South Montgomery Street in Trenton, you had to have the "code of the month" and the person who answered the phone would have to go to a bank of file cabinets and look thru paper cards on file to get the information.

How things have changed !
I can remember when there were printed "books" of the county's registrations. Anything new or from another county was a phone call or a long hand check.

K5mow

I can remember when there were printed "books" of the county's registrations. Anything new or from another county was a phone call or a long hand check.

I got Police call from RadioShack every year.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.