Pro-668: Polite public note for DonS and CPUNUT PRO668

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to leave a public note for DonS and CPUNUT about the paid upgrade from the Whistler Group. I got my unit back after the radio was upgraded and I am very happy with it. I sent unit not for the added functionality but it was about being square with Whistler.

I originally used the Eric’s hack and was running firmware 4.5 already and I was happy with how the unit operated. I went that route out of frustration with RadioShack not really making any progress on getting the update themselves. I can’t tell you how many times I called them and not getting any answers from them. All they ever said was go to Radio Reference to figure it out. At the time I thought that Whistler was not going to reach any agreement with RadioShack and the scanners would never be updated for DMR. I also figured that when RadioShack filed bankruptcy that Whistler was not going do anything with the PRO668 and would be stuck without any ability to receive DMR.

To my surprise Whistler offered the update and decided to support the radios. They really had no real obligation to do so. My present and future position will be to encourage everyone with an upgradeable unit hacked or not to send it in. I really think that Whistler should be compensated for their intellectual property that clearly took a lot of time and effort to develop. Hopefully you two can rest easy and know that I had no intention of stealing your firmware. I am very happy with the present situation knowing that I have a legitimate load of the firmware that is sanctioned and approved by the Whistler group.

Best Regards

Hamradiostuffing

Last edited:

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Pro-668

I second this post as I will send in my stock pro18 and stock pro668 both to be upgraded.

I don't have the money yet maybe another month or 2 ,so i am praying that Whistler will not discontinue the upgrade offer.
Being without DMR is sad:( but the radio is still working great otherwise.

DJ11DLN

I highly doubt that the offer will be discontinued. It is in Whistler's interest to get these radios upgraded since the FW tool and the hack, once released into the wild, will be available literally forever. Also, it is a revenue source. I don't know how long the process takes to make a non-locked PSR-800/Pro-18/Pro-668 into a viable WS-1080 but I am thinking that it probably doesn't take much time at all. So it's an easy paycheck. I have no problem with that, Whistler is in business to make money, and so long as they offer a good value for the money -- and this upgrade IMHO is a very good value, giving orphaned scanners a supported future -- then I am happy with it.

Mine are going in soon (I know, I know, I've said "next week" several times, but things keep getting in the way...such as the birth of a step-grandson last week:):):)). I promise.

Nasby

I think that the two fellas you sent the polite post to have signed off a while ago.
They seemed pretty frustrated.

I think that the two fellas you sent the polite post to have signed off a while ago.
They seemed pretty frustrated.

They weren't the only ones frustrated with the situation. A lot of us Radio Shack users we're also because a lot us of thought that we were not going to ever get the DMR upgrade for our Pro 668's.

super61

I have the Pro-668, how do i tell if mine is locked or not? I haven't upgraded it in a while and saw that there was the upgrade from them for it. My only thing is, how do i know its locked or not?

fredva

Feed Provider
I have the Pro-668, how do i tell if mine is locked or not? I haven't upgraded it in a while and saw that there was the upgrade from them for it. My only thing is, how do i know its locked or not?

Have you only done upgrades through official, supported methods? The locking occurred to scanners that were upgraded using unofficial, more cumbersome methods to give the scanner DMR capability before Whistler provided an official upgrade to do that. In other words, it was a hack. You would know if you went through that process.

Last edited:

Blackswan73

If the splash screen says RadioShack, it is not locked. If your radio is hacked, and still receives DMR, it is not locked. If you did the hack and it is not receiving DMR, or you can't reflash it back, it is locked

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I wanted to leave a public note for DonS and CPUNUT about the paid upgrade from the Whistler Group. I got my unit back after the radio was upgraded and I am very happy with it. I sent unit not for the added functionality but it was about being square with Whistler.

I originally used the Eric’s hack and was running firmware 4.5 already and I was happy with how the unit operated. I went that route out of frustration with RadioShack not really making any progress on getting the update themselves. I can’t tell you how many times I called them and not getting any answers from them. All they ever said was go to Radio Reference to figure it out. At the time I thought that Whistler was not going to reach any agreement with RadioShack and the scanners would never be updated for DMR. I also figured that when RadioShack filed bankruptcy that Whistler was not going do anything with the PRO668 and would be stuck without any ability to receive DMR.

To my surprise Whistler offered the update and decided to support the radios. They really had no real obligation to do so. My present and future position will be to encourage everyone with an upgradeable unit hacked or not to send it in. I really think that Whistler should be compensated for their intellectual property that clearly took a lot of time and effort to develop. Hopefully you two can rest easy and know that I had no intention of stealing your firmware. I am very happy with the present situation knowing that I have a legitimate load of the firmware that is sanctioned and approved by the Whistler group.

Nicely put.

I sent my 668 in for upgrade as well, not so much for the DMR capability as for improved overall performance, future upgrades and support.

Service was very fast; I had the radio back in about 10 days.

I have no complaints at all.

Nicely put.

I sent my 668 in for upgrade as well, not so much for the DMR capability as for improved overall performance, future upgrades and support.

Service was very fast; I had the radio back in about 10 days.

I have no complaints at all.

Thank you!

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Pro-668

I sent in my scanner about a week ago tomorrow and talked to a whistler representative on halloween about the status of my scanner on face book via messenger talked to miss MIRANDA ,and sill no update.Should I push more for a response or is this normal wait time?I sure would like to know where my scanner is now do they send you a tracking # when they send it back? .

Status
Not open for further replies.