Polk Co SO Ch3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padovani

I believe 154.02500 ("Tac") is aka Ch. 3. However, since I've not heard anything on it in quite some time (years), I could be wrong and am open to correction.

radiotweester

Thanks for the reply Padovani. That was what I'd thought also, but as I was WAY up above FC and line of sight to the Papa unit and still hearing nothing on either the new or old Tacs, I got curious.
I pulled up the licenses and see some are P25 emissions and there's some freqs not identified. Next trip I'll see what I can hear.

Padovani

I've had the same experience. I'm not sure if they just don't use those frequencies very often, if they have something I don't know about, or if they're using a talkaround function on the main dispatch frequency.

To the best of my knowledge, PCSO has no P25 radios; the word I got from the decision-makers at the county was that they had no money and no plans to buy any.

Baker845

I'm sure Polk county replacing radio's as they meet there end of life use, or cant be fixed all depts do, rather they say it or not. There's always small amount of funds in sheriff/ PD budget put aside for replacing things when it comes up. Radio's don't last forever they stop working or get broken. radio makers say Handheld radio's last about 10 years in public safety environment and they recommended replacing.

Last edited:

Padovani

I'm sure Polk county replacing radio's as they meet there end of life use, or cant be fixed all depts do, rather they say it or not. There's always small amount of funds in sheriff/ PD budget put aside for replacing things when it comes up.

A new radio here and there, to work on the existing system, isn't a problem. But that's a very different thing than installing an entirely new system (or joining the state P25 network, which incurs cost). They just don't have the money to do that. And speaking as a Polk County taxpayer, I want them to do other things with my money, rather than abandoning a perfectly functional radio network.

Baker845

No one said they should abandon there VHF radio network. They would be crazy to do so. all i was pointing out is when Portables or mobile radio's need to get replaced, they can budget to buy 8-10 new radio's each budget year. Discounts from radio vendors they can replace there old radio's with APX or Harris dual band radio's.

toofarwest

PCSO can go to 'tac' , they don't do it often, I believe it basically a 'car to car' , I heard one of the units say it the other day, but wasn't in a position to monitor it to see why.

Padovani

PCSO can go to 'tac' , they don't do it often, I believe it basically a 'car to car' , I heard one of the units say it the other day, but wasn't in a position to monitor it to see why.

I'm still not sure if they're using a different frequency, or just "talk around" on the repeater's output. Haven't been close enough to a unit at the right time to find out. Unfortunately, the hilly topography of the county makes it even more difficult.

toofarwest

So I listening to PCSO today They were heading up to cover YCSO.

A deputy told another to switch to ‘tac’.

I was on my HT, switched to ‘PCSO tac’ which I had programmed, 154.0250, and there they were, talking about a second call. To keep the Main free of unnecessary traffic??, or off the norm channel people scan.??

Padovani

So I listening to PCSO today They were heading up to cover YCSO.

A deputy told another to switch to ‘tac’.

I was on my HT, switched to ‘PCSO tac’ which I had programmed, 154.0250, and there they were, talking about a second call. To keep the Main free of unnecessary traffic??, or off the norm channel people scan.??

Good to know.

'Tac' is used for both of the reasons you mentioned. It's like a working frequency in the firefighting world: to keep the dispatch channel free of operational clutter, and to put everyone involved in the incident in the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.