Polk County - New User Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob391

I have purchased the Pro-164 from Radio Shack.

Based on the info from the policescanner.net site.

They have the following text:

The best Polk County scanner radio is a trunking police scanner. Currently Polk County operates a Motorola trunking radio system as does Lakeland. The Polk County system is digital-capable but there is little or no digital on the system. A standard trunking scanner is a good choice for Polk County.

My Question is:

Will my non digital scanner work within Polk county?

If not I will need to do a little research on a new scanner, any recommendations?

Thanks In Advance.

--Bob391

PS: Great Site.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That is outdated info. Polk is all P25 digital, while Lakeland remains analog. You'll need a digital scanner for Polk.

Any current model from RS or Uniden will work. RS does some good sales every so often, and if you opt for a Uniden, you'll have to do some internet price comparison shopping.

As far as which one is better, there is no correct answer. It's usually a matter of personal preference. I prefer handheld Unidens for their size and user-friendliness (to the experienced scanner user).

Last edited:

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 with Bolt21 response.

'Policescanner.net' is way behind in their info. Polk county switched from analog to digital about 2 years ago or so.
Welcome to the best site you will find for scanners, Ham, CB, shortwave, et al. There's lots of members who can offer you help in your radio questions search. In your journey through the web and you come upon other people interested in Radio Waves, give them this sites' URL.
Roger

bob391

Thanks Bolt21 and Rafdav for the reply.

I will start researching digital scanners. Looks like it should be a fun journey.

--Bob391

Status
Not open for further replies.