Polk County NXDN

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I noted this weekend that Polk County Fire and EMS on 154.965 is now using NXDN. I do not have the RAN. I also got some hits on both the Polk Co Fire and Sheriff talkgroups on NC VIPER. Anyone have updates? Is it possible that they have patched their NXDN system to Palmetto 800 is some way?

This was discussed a couple of years ago here:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have answered part of my own question.

154.965 is now NXDN with Fire and EMS traffic, and 151.130 is now NXDN for Sheriff traffic. Both RAN 1.

155.580 is still NXDN for Tryon PD and 155.070 is still NXDN for Tryon FD. Both RAN 12.

I have not confirmed how much of County Fire/EMS and Sheriff are rebroadcast on NC VIPER, if any. That traffic could be completely separate.

I don't see any evidence of a NXDN trunked system. Seems to be conventional repeaters.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have listened to tryon here in Spartanburg, and tryon f.d. does not sound like a nxdn, it sounds like p25 or dmr, I am still trying to see what it is, it's not a nxdn digital sound,

You're correct that it's different. Tryon FD and PD are NXDN 9600 format, while Polk Co FD and SD are NXDN 4800 format. Both NXDN, but different for sure. Thanks for pointing that out

HikerGuy

Premium Subscriber
Polk County appears to have their own NXDN48 trunked system. Possibly linked to Henderson County's? (Same network ID - 321). Also seeing the same talkgroups on sites for both counties. All traffic appears to be encrypted so far.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Polk County Sheriff has been confirmed to be using the Henderson County NXDN system. Sites and talkgroups have been updated on the system database page, and links to the system have been added to the Polk County database page. I can confirm that the Polk Co Sheriff talkgroup is not (yet) fully encrypted.

I haven't heard Tryon or Polk County Fire and EMS on the system yet. I also haven't confirmed if the VIPER talkgroup that was previously active, or the NXDN conventional channel, have been abandoned.

yardbird

Yea I just read in the database that everything is encrypted.

There is no rhyme or reason why Fire and Ems is encrypted.

Sounds like they are trying to hide something,

I can sort of see some sheriff. talkgroups being encrypted, give me a break dispatch talkgroups.

They are taking the fun out of scanner listing.

Interoperability here is the key to communications, but there is none here between NXDN and Viper.

They will learn eventually.

I think Avery County is headed that way as well.

Talked to a friend and he said Avery Co. was re-licensing everything for NXDN.

Really makes no since why have two systems especially with all the state hospitals are using Viper.

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I monitored the legacy NXDN conventional frequencies for Polk Co and Tryon overnight last night and received no hits. I also monitored the VIPER site on Tryon Peak for several hours and didn't detect any activity on Polk County talkgroups. So I think all Polk County public safety communications has converted to the Henderson County system.

I have verified the Polk County Fire and EMS talkgroups, and they are separate channels now. County Fire and EMS had previously shared a conventional channel.

Currently, dispatch for Polk County Fire, EMS and Sheriff is in the clear. All field units are encrypted.

I have not pinned down any talkgroups for Tryon yet. But there are several additional active talkgroups in the 100 range that need to be identified. They aren't very chatty.

Polk County is using its own NXDN system which shares a core with the Henderson system. They are moving the same way towards full encryption and basically cloning over from the friends up the mountain.

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
Yea I just read in the database that everything is encrypted.

There is no rhyme or reason why Fire and Ems is encrypted.

Sounds like they are trying to hide something,

I can sort of see some sheriff. talkgroups being encrypted, give me a break dispatch talkgroups.

They are taking the fun out of scanner listing.

Interoperability here is the key to communications, but there is none here between NXDN and Viper.

They will learn eventually.

I think Avery County is headed that way as well.

Talked to a friend and he said Avery Co. was re-licensing everything for NXDN.

Really makes no since why have two systems especially with all the state hospitals are using Viper.
Avery county will go DMR, but it will be awhile

RadioBuddy2356

Feed Provider
Polk County Sheriff has been confirmed to be using the Henderson County NXDN system. Sites and talkgroups have been updated on the system database page, and links to the system have been added to the Polk County database page. I can confirm that the Polk Co Sheriff talkgroup is not (yet) fully encrypted.

I haven't heard Tryon or Polk County Fire and EMS on the system yet. I also haven't confirmed if the VIPER talkgroup that was previously active, or the NXDN conventional channel, have been abandoned.
I have heard very little of Polk on viper through Tryon peak. It is mainly used for Rutherford. The only thing I’ve picked up is EMS calling into St. Luke’s.

RadioBuddy2356

Feed Provider
I just got DSD fastlane set-up and on the Tryon peak connection Henderson and Polk share fire, EMS, and sheriff. Mostly everything is encrypted, every now and then something comes through that is not encrypted on Polk.