Polk county TN reception question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
I am located in Clay county NC and I am able to receive TACN traffic from the Oswald Dome site in Polk county. I am unable to receive any traffic from the Polk county conventional police of fire.

Can a RR member from Polk verify that the DB is up to date?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Looking at their Facebook profile picture of their new cars it would appear as if they have both VHF and 7/800 MHz antennas. Their 7/800 antennas are the phantom type so it is possible I’m misidentifying it and could be for data instead, but that would be exotic for Polk County.

I didn’t find any online broadcasts either. I’d suggest continuing to monitor the VHF stuff for awhile and if you don’t hear anything it would probably be safe to assume they’ve switched over to 7/800.

It does list 852.42500 and 852.9625 as P25. I’d be willing to bet they are using those. Maybe more? VTNMA is a mutual aid freq everyone across the state for the most part has in their VHF radios. I don’t suspect you’ll hear much out of that unless it involves NC. There is actually some VIPER talk groups on TACN too although that is way out of my league.

As far as conventional or trunked is a good question.

Still worth monitoring SO, FD, and EMS for activity.

I’ll research a bit more but you probably know more than I do. I’m too far away to know or monitor anything about Polk County.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
Looking at their Facebook profile picture of their new cars it would appear as if they have both VHF and 7/800 MHz antennas. Their 7/800 antennas are the phantom type so it is possible I’m misidentifying it and could be for data instead, but that would be exotic for Polk County.

I didn’t find any online broadcasts either. I’d suggest continuing to monitor the VHF stuff for awhile and if you don’t hear anything it would probably be safe to assume they’ve switched over to 7/800.

It does list 852.42500 and 852.9625 as P25. I’d be willing to bet they are using those. Maybe more? VTNMA is a mutual aid freq everyone across the state for the most part has in their VHF radios. I don’t suspect you’ll hear much out of that unless it involves NC. There is actually some VIPER talk groups on TACN too although that is way out of my league.

As far as conventional or trunked is a good question.

Still worth monitoring SO, FD, and EMS for activity.

I’ll research a bit more but you probably know more than I do. I’m too far away to know or monitor anything about Polk County.
Ok thank you for your interest in my post. I'll keep the VHF frequencies in my scan list for a while.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
2/3 of the Tennessee Counties boarding Polk are on TACN 7/800 MHz trunked. I wouldn’t be shocked if they piggy backed off a neighboring county’s infrastructure as well. One of their neighbors also list VTNMA. Hwy. 411 is very busy in respect of traffic and often pursuits will cross geopolitical boundaries in that area.

If you don’t find an answer on here from someone who knows you might send their EMA an email. Most directors are pretty good about answering questions about general communications.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
The last time I was down that way was about 2 months ago and I was still picking them up from n the vhf channels listed in database. I'll head down that way next chance I get in the next week or so and see what I can find out and report back.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting me know @ccfire Guess I'm just too far away here. My reception for T.A.C.N Oswald Dome is gone also. Frustrating.

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
Wow well when I first bought my scanner Oswald came in good then I lost it had to move my scanner to another room closer to the side of my 🏠 facing towards Oswald and got it back

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
That's a good idea. Might be related to leaves coming out on the trees- maybe?. Thanks for the tip.

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
@ccfire - After work today I drove into the western part of Cherokee county to try and receive the control channel for Oswald Dome T.A.C.N site. I was very close to the polk county line and could not pick up the control channel. I really think the site might be down. When you have time could you take a listen and verify if the site is working?

ccfire

Premium Subscriber
Oswald is running I listen to it aswell as waucheesi & star mountain those 2 800 channels Polk has I havery heard them on there before talking thinking it could be possible mutual aid

Nchpiboy

Premium Subscriber
Oswald is running I listen to it aswell as waucheesi & star mountain those 2 800 channels Polk has I havery heard them on there before talking thinking it could be possible mutual aid
Thank you for checking. I'm in the woods over here. I think that when the leaves came out on the trees it blocked my reception.

GKolo

East and West Polk are still on VHF for Police, Fire and EMS as of today and no rumors of them switching anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.