Poll: What company makes (has made) the highest quality radio scanner?

In the history of radio scanner manufacturing, who makes the highest quality radio in your opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I thought it might be interesting to poll individuals the following question:

In the history of radio scanner manufacturing, who makes the highest quality radio in your opinion?

****Try to avoid the option, “it depends” (even though I understand voting that way..)****:)

Give your overall opinion of the company that you feel makes (or has made) consistently,
the highest quality product in the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

RFI-EMI-GUY

If you look at the entire history of scanners, there were some pretty good crystal controlled base scanner in the early days. Then at some point the Bearcat 210 was the rage. But it wasn't particularly good performing receiver by todays standards. I am partial to ICOM receivers. Yes they are not "scanners" but they do scan!

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
xerb1962
“In its time the Radio Shack PRO 2006 by GRE. Bought one as soon as they came out, right when OHP started using 800 Mhz.....ah the good old days!”

Those were the days. My very first scanner was a RS

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
As with anything complex, there are trade-offs. With regard to scanners; the first one that comes up for many is sensitivity vs selectivity. If you're next to a source of "in band interference", you need really good selectivity. If you live "out in the sticks", you need sensitivity. But that's just one issue.

One that comes to mind for me is ease of use. I need to be able to drive the thing w/o looking at it. Whether I am driving with my eyes on the road or in a dark place (bed at night), I need to know what buttons to press to absolutely make something happen. Generally speaking, this doesn't go well with soft keys and menus.

Then you have a company with many great designs and they come out with something that is really junk. Tough to select a single brand unless you're thinking of the best model from each (and have used such).

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I placed in the poll the option to select “it depends on the radio”

What I am interested in is the overall view of the quality from the company of all of their projects

Thanks again for all who have voted and you can still vote

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Again, thank you for all those who took the poll. It will close tonight at midnight

Very interesting results

Edit: It will end February 6

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Unfortunately only 51 votes. You should let the poll roll for a day or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.