Pomona ICIS unknown talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I am running Trunker on the Pomona ICIS and have logged some talkgroups not listed. They are encrypted so it may be difficult to find their usage. The busiest id is 37744 and may be a special event channel in use for the POTUS visit.

Other missing talkgroups

flugpop

I think that it was the patch to SBLAW2 on San Bernardino System 9. The Upland and Ontario units were helping Pomona with secret service requests for streets that needed to be shut down. You could hear it nice and clear on SBLAW2.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Others

Over the years I've logged the following unknown talkgroups:

37776 was the only unencrypted.

Last Monday Cal Poly was doing testing on 37744 unencrypted. I think they're supposed to get two of their own talkgroups soon.

Radiobern

Feed Provider
Do you know if Cal Poly Pomona will have talkgroups for PD only or will facilities management make the leap as well? Any news if any other users on campus will have access to ICIS radios?

Here's some background on campus communications. How things have changed for Cal Poly. When I started attending classes in 1998, campus police (153.74 and 151.49), facilities management and the shuttles (151.685) were all on VHF simplex. I remember dispatch (it was out of a portable in the parking lot) couldn't even hear units at the horse stables. I forget when but facilities management and campus PD got VHF repeaters a few years later (153.635 and 153.74 respectively). However, the input frequency and tone for campus PD was the same frequency and tone for PD out of Lake Havasu (155.685 CT 173.8). So on some days, we'd hear fuzzy Lake Havasu transmissions make it through the repeater and that would confuse dispatch. Eventually they ignored the weak transmissions. I graduated in 2004 and no longer live in the area, so I don't know what the status is with the various repeaters on campus. I do know the dorms had a repeater on UHF (463.8125 DC 174) and so did the campus apartments across the street on Temple (464.775 CT 156.7). During special events and during graduation, they would rent UHF radios and have a temporary repeater up for operations. I also regularly monitored the facilities management frequency to find out where the shuttle was or when our power was going to be turned off (the year we had rolling black outs).

Pomona PD surprised me the most, they went from a VHF simplex system to a UHF digital trunked system, and partially encrypted at that. I've always wondered why Pomona never had a repeater. It seemed dispatch could never hear any of officer's handhelds well. Their neighbors in La Verne were also VHF simplex as well at the time.

Well, enough babbling by me.

jlanfn

Do you know if Cal Poly Pomona will have talkgroups for PD only or will facilities management make the leap as well? Any news if any other users on campus will have access to ICIS radios?
It's mostly educated guessing for me, but since they're only supposed to have about 40 radio ID's, at least at first, I would say only the PD will be on ICIS. I don't even think parking enforcement will be on ICIS as that would require many more radios.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure all Cal Poly PD vehicles already have XTL5000's for interop with Pomona PD.

jlanfn

I think they're supposed to get two of their own talkgroups soon.
I monitored Cal Poly PD today on what I suspect is their own new talkgroup, 37840. It was a patch to their VHF dispatch channel, with no ICIS mobile or portable radios online yet, so far as I could hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.