Pontiac, MI - FCC Dismisses 800 MHz Rebanding Motion from Michigan County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If I understand the article, Oakland was petitioning to have Sprint pay for their rebanding needs?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I think it was more to the effect that Pontiac used a decision about New York as part of an argument that their reassigned frequencies were too close to the ESMR band, which could result in interference. If I read it right, the FCC rejected that argument, and notified all other future similar pettioners with a threat that their pettions would also be dismissed. Now I don't know the whole story, just what is presented, and it does still look as Spint/Nexthell is paying, but Pontiac is complaining about being put so close to the edge of the ESMR band.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If I understand the article, Oakland was petitioning to have Sprint pay for their rebanding needs?

As I understand it, this is one of the main objections. Apparently, Oakland County needs more frequencies for new tower sites, that are supposed to cure areas with bad reception issues on the current OpenSky TRS. Likewise, They want prime frequencies that are away from ESMR band area.

73s

Ron

AlanTilles

Not Exactly

No Ron - as counsel to Oakland, we're not looking for more frequencies to cure dead spots. Rather we're seeking to have Oakland's rebanded frequencies at least 1 MHz away from Nextel. What you're referring to is that the FCC discovered that Oakland (and dozens of other Canadian Border Area licensees) were accidentally granted excessive ERP at certain sites by the FCC (FCC's mistake, as ERP in the Canadian Border Area is lower than the rest of the country) and now wants Oakland (and others) to lower that ERP. For Oakland, that's three channels (out of many) and does represent an engineering problem, post-rebanding (the current system is fine). We're just trying to work that out with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.