BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Poor Audio and Sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinarello

Premium Subscriber
I've added a BCD436 to my shack but am not sure if I have a defective unit. In comparative scanning with WS1080, TRX-1 and BDC536, the '436 seems a bit deaf on 450 to 470 Mhz. Also, high level of audio hiss (white noise) for conventional Freqs and Analog audio trucked Freqs.

Would you say this is normal? I have the same programming on the 536 and 436 and similar programming for the Whistlers. I also have interchanged antennas between the units, using RS 800 Mhz and RH77CA antennas. Same results, the TRX-1, WS1080, and 536 all work well and do not have these issues.

Thanks,

John

troymail

Silent Key
I've added a BCD436 to my shack but am not sure if I have a defective unit. In comparative scanning with WS1080, TRX-1 and BDC536, the '436 seems a bit deaf on 450 to 470 Mhz. Also, high level of audio hiss (white noise) for conventional Freqs and Analog audio trucked Freqs.

Would you say this is normal? I have the same programming on the 536 and 436 and similar programming for the Whistlers. I also have interchanged antennas between the units, using RS 800 Mhz and RH77CA antennas. Same results, the TRX-1, WS1080, and 536 all work well and do not have these issues.

Thanks,

John

The 436 UHF issues are well discussed here (even though they have been ignored/unacknowledged by Uniden)

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/349956-uhf-noise-battery-compartment.html

Not sure about the hiss...

k3fs

As mentioned above. Poor UHF/VHF sensitivity is normal when using a duck antenna. The hiss may also be related, but not usually as noticeable. A quick test to see if that is a problem is attach the scanner to a mobile antenna or outside antenna. You will then see the sensitivity is quite good. See if that clears up the hiss. Continued use in that way is not very practical for a portable.

Please look over the thread mentioned. https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/349956-uhf-noise-battery-compartment.html

Just out of curiosity, what are the first two numbers after the Z in the serial number.

When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.

Customers are not stupid. Ignoring or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.

pinarello

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Troymail & k3fs for your replies. To clarify, what I see is that the displayed signal strength is were I am observing the difference. On the other 3 radios for the same frequency I'll have all bars on but only 2 or 3 for the 436. Same result with changing the location of the radios, no difference with the use of either antenna.

I did take the 436 out in the car this morning after posting using a SpectrumForce SFA-201B. This was same 45 min drive I took yesterday ( Princeton to Edison) with the WS1080. The WS1080 did out perform the 436 on what was received but the audio was much better, so perhaps the audio issues are related to the battery compartment.

At this time I'm returning it for another unit and try again.

John

Last edited:

pinarello

Premium Subscriber
Received a new 436 and it's better. I do have to say that the analog audio on the 436 is not as good as the other 3. I'm keeping with it to take advantage of some of the other features (i.e. GPS location based scanning). Hoping a firmware or other update will fix it.

The last 2 numbers after the Z in the S/N are 68 on the original unit and the 2nd is also 68 and a few hundred units older. So I write the 1st 436 off as a defective unit.

Last edited:

k3fs

Unfortunately, it looks like Uniden is going to fix the defective units out there when the same time they release the advanced analysis features.

When there is a problem, admit it as soon as possible.

Customers are not stupid. Ignoring or denying a legitimate problem is not the way to handle it.

pinarello

Premium Subscriber
As an update, I purchased a SMA Remtronix 800Mhz antenna and did another side by side with the WS1080, TRX-1, and 536. With using the native SMA mount antenna, I see similar signal strength displayed on all 4 now. Was there a reason why would Uniden uses a SMA mounting on the 436 and not the 536?

Thanks,
John

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
BNC is the standard, but SMA is more compact for handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.