Poor reception. Can I put a Discone antenna in my attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciguy222

I recently purchased a Uniden BCD536HP scanner and I am very pleased with the product. The supplied antenna is okay but I want to extend the range. My questions are aimed at the types of antennas that forum members would recommend for the scanner.

For base operation I was thinking of purchasing the WBD-40 Discone base antenna. I’m thinking of installing the antenna in my attic. The 30’ x 40’ x 18’ (at the apex) attic is finished and I use it for storage. So the WBD-40 will fit. I do however have 6 aluminum tape-wrapped HVAC vents at floor level. I’m thinking of installing the WBD-40 at the apex and running the coax down one floor.

The reason why I’m installing it in the attic is because of my subdivision by-laws. They won’t allow me to install the WBD-40 on the exterior of the house, although some of my neighbors have installed satellite dish antennas. The mobile choice is the TRAM 1094-BNC.

Can anyone tell me if I’m headed in the right direction, insofar as the antenna brands (stated above) and my attic install ideas are concerned? Thank you.

wtp

sure.

but two questions. is the roof metal or is there "solar ply" up there ?
the metal roof would be obvious.
but the aluminium faced plywood could be hard to spot.
it should be put up with the foil facing inside, but some guys put it on backwards.
when i stayed in a house with a metal roof, i would put the antenna out on the ground with RG6 running to the radio.

sciguy222

WTP:

I have a wood A-Frame roof with 3M asphalt shingles applied over plywood. I don't have an aluminum roof. The house is wrapped in Tyvek (high density polyethylene wrap). The walls are 2 x 4's. There are 6 foil wrapped flexible heating / cooling vents (8" in diameter) that run along the attic floor. I'm thinking of installing the WBD-40 Discone at the roof apex (inside the attic). The height from the attic floor to the apex is 18 feet.
Question: If I install the WBD-40 Discone at the attic roof apex would that work to increase my scanner reception?

Thank you.

wtp

yes

there are no rules to receiving, so you could try anything.
back when i was single, my discone was on the dining room table

sciguy222

Thank you. I'm going to purchase the WBD-40 Discone antenna from ScannerMaster and install it at the apex of the attic (inside). I will run the cable from the antenna to my office on the 2nd floor.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Be sure to order good quality feedline. the best antenna is nothing if the signal won't make it thru the feedline to your scanner.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
You sure can and I do

I have a discone sitting happily on its radials in my attic. 40 foot up my (already loaded) tower would be better, but works fine in attic, certainly alot better than most antennas in the shack or directly attached to a radio.

Like others have said use good quality feedline.

sciguy222

I'm confused about what was said concerning a "good quality feed line". Scanner Master sells the WBD-40 Discone antenna and they recommended using LMR-400 Coax (male to BNC male) cable. I will need 75 feet of cable. Is this the "good quality feed line" that your talking about? Or, is there a better cable out there? Thank you.

ab5r

YES, that is the best available for the consumer class. Professional grade coax would be WAYYYY out of the average man's pocketbook. REMEMBER: There is no PERFECT or BEST; only what works for you with your conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.