Port authority of Allegheny County moving to DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binger511

Feed Provider
I noticed on many buses that they had dmr radios(and saw on a post before), but I still actively listen to them on analog. Anyone know anything else about that?

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
i think they might eventually go to dmr but not sure 100% dmr is the way alot of places are turning to we just have to find out for sure.

talviar

Think from a product availability standpoint..... Motorola has 2 product lines on the 2 way radios.. business (professional series) line and public safety (APX/ASTRO25) line.... Both series radios work on Analog FM. So... yo need to replace several thousand radios to replace aging equipment in a fleet of radios..... do you A- buy expensive Analog/P25 public safety grade radios with software options set to analog only or B- buy cheaper Analog/DMR radios?

Think from a product availability standpoint..... Motorola has 2 product lines on the 2 way radios.. business (professional series) line and public safety (APX/ASTRO25) line.... Both series radios work on Analog FM. So... yo need to replace several thousand radios to replace aging equipment in a fleet of radios..... do you A- buy expensive Analog/P25 public safety grade radios with software options set to analog only or B- buy cheaper Analog/DMR radios?
So being the Port Authority it will be the most expensive. Wondering if they would use TriConnex which would cover the entire county. I posted the PAT police tested on P25 a few years ago. I guess we will wait and see.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
So being the Port Authority it will be the most expensive. Wondering if they would use TriConnex which would cover the entire county. I posted the PAT police tested on P25 a few years ago. I guess we will wait and see.
I highly doubt they would go on that system as the airtime charges for all their radios would be through the roof.

radio259

From what this old man remembers, we put P25 radios in the fleet. Think they were Tait, Thales or something like that.

Binger511

Feed Provider
Well, after doing a little bit of digging around and looking at the emission designation for the license grant, it appears that they have been licensed for 12.5 analog (11K2F3E) and P25 Phase 1 (8K10F1E). Now, I am by no means an expert but I think I've narrowed it down to P25, not DMR.

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
I had a buddy who work for them bring his radio over the one day and I cant remember the company on the radio but i do remember it started with a T so something like that .but they are still on analog at this time

notmyj

I can assure you, there is currently no plan to move off of analog at this point. I am friends with the guy that runs that department and we have talked about it among other things. Short of getting a windfall grant from the gov, there is no money in the budget to switch everything over. There is talk about replacing/upgrading equipment to bring the ROW channel back online though.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
How come the East Liberty Garage doesn't have a channel? Or do they and it just isn't on here?

Binger511

Feed Provider
I believe off the old pgh scanner page East Liberty is on (453.600–192.8) I can’t really confirm it because I am where I am at geographically speaking, all I hear is static, but I can assure you something is there. I’ll have to add it to the database shortly.

notmyj

I submitted a correction to add E Lib and ROW to the list a few weeks ago, along with the Special Event channel, even though its simplex used for job site coms, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.