Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What radio traffic is broadcast on the PA's P25 Phase II trunked system? Is it police only, or operations as well? I'm particularly interested in listening to police and emergency ops at the GWB. I realize that PAPD is totally encrypted on their P25 trunked system, but I'm wondering if 453.800 CTCSS 100.0 still operational at the GWB? If so, is police and emergency ops radio traffic broadcast there, or just maintenance (snow plowing, etc.)?

As a side note, information about the PA's system is posted in the NY State database, but not in the NJ State database. It's a joint NY/NJ agency, so the data should be posted in both state databases.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
What radio traffic is broadcast on the PA's P25 Phase II trunked system? Is it police only, or operations as well? I'm particularly interested in listening to police and emergency ops at the GWB. I realize that PAPD is totally encrypted on their P25 trunked system, but I'm wondering if 453.800 CTCSS 100.0 still operational at the GWB? If so, is police and emergency ops radio traffic broadcast there, or just maintenance (snow plowing, etc.)?

As a side note, information about the PA's system is posted in the NY State database, but not in the NJ State database. It's a joint NY/NJ agency, so the data should be posted in both state databases.

All law enforcement, ARFF, and most maintenance is on the system. Bridge & Tunnel Agents (the tow/fire personnel) still use conventional frequencies frequently, as do airport Ops Cars.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There is a PANYNJ agency page in the NJ database, which has a link to the agency page in the NY database. This was agreed upon years ago by the admins in both states, as duplication in the RRDB is strongly discouraged. Also, it makes life easier only having to maintain a single set of frequencies agency-wide.

All law enforcement, ARFF, and most maintenance is on the system. Bridge & Tunnel Agents (the tow/fire personnel) still use conventional frequencies frequently, as do airport Ops Cars.
Thanks. This is not made clear in the posted RR listing. Also, does the Central Police Desk dispatch law enforcement for all bridges and tunnels, or does each facility have its own law enforcement talk group?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. This is not made clear in the posted RR listing. Also, does the Central Police Desk dispatch law enforcement for all bridges and tunnels, or does each facility have its own law enforcement talk group?

Central Police Desk is what it sounds like, it's the central desk for all Port Authority Police, but it does not dispatch all law enforcement. Each facility has it's own desk with it's own talkgroup and tacs. The listing in the system is not complete because of the lack of access to information. Can't add what you can't confirm.

Analogrules

I am glad someone brought up this topic because the RR DB still lists 453.400 as their Central Police Dispatch frequency. I thought all PA police are encrypted now. Is 453.400 still active, or should it be marked deprecated?

Also are the UHF bridge and tunnel ops frequencies only used for public works/maint purposes, or do traffic units use them too? For example, if I was in Port Auth Bus terminal and monitoring the Lincoln Tunnel "ops frequency", would it give me any information regarding accidents or traffic delays?

mondaro

Feed Provider
I am glad someone brought up this topic because the RR DB still lists 453.400 as their Central Police Dispatch frequency. I thought all PA police are encrypted now. Is 453.400 still active, or should it be marked deprecated?

Also are the UHF bridge and tunnel ops frequencies only used for public works/maint purposes, or do traffic units use them too? For example, if I was in Port Auth Bus terminal and monitoring the Lincoln Tunnel "ops frequency", would it give me any information regarding accidents or traffic delays?
See that's the problem the freq. database coordinators are trigger happy taking freqs offline and many are still in play, for christ's sake I still parkway stuff on their old VHF stuff.

K2NEC

Pequannock PD is also 453.800 but they are digital. I still occasionally hear the analog transmissions on that frequency.

Analogrules

I agree that freq's should not be completely taken offline, but the problem I see with the DB is the lack of info regarding these older UHF frequencies. Can anyone answer my question regarding what exactly 453.400 (listed as an active port authority central police desk) used for now? IF it is just a backup frequency, it should be listed as such. Are those other UHF freqs for bridges and tunnels also just backup freqs, or are they full time still? These are the things I'd like to see more clear in the DB.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Are those other UHF freqs for bridges and tunnels also just backup freqs, or are they full time still?

Read up, that has been answered.

See that's the problem the freq. database coordinators are trigger happy taking freqs offline and many are still in play, for christ's sake I still parkway stuff on their old VHF stuff.

I disagree. The admins edit based on submissions, and do a great job of it. The goal is to keep the site clean and orderly. And if something is removed that you believe should not have been, you know where the submit button is. However, be prepared for someone to dispute it if you happen to be wrong or it doesn't belong.

Analogrules

For example, I just looked at the DB and it clearly says 453.400 Central Police Desk "Law Dispatch". It does NOT say anything about it being back up only or used for any other purpose. Yet, it ALSO says that PAPD operates on the TRUNKED system (which shows "Central Police Desk" as De). Therefore the DB contradicts itself.

mondaro

Feed Provider
There are certain people on this board ( especially some moderators) that took all the fun of being here as well, I am afraid to post anything
anymore, and Radio Ditch I love ya bro and respect you but professionally I 1000% disagree, there are NUMEROUS agencies that have kept there
old stuff so those with old scanner plans etc DO NOT erase a thing they can still be in use, going back under my rock.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I’d like to jump in and say a few things....the first being the purpose of the site is not to be a graveyard. I agree that there are frequencies that have been marked depreciated and subsequently removed from the database that are still programmed in radios. BUT, when was the last time it was actually used? For example, I know a Town PD in Orange County, NY that switched from VHF to EDACS in the 90’s. The town still kept VHF radios in the cars for Fire paging, DPW, EMS paging & Ops, etc. and still has them to this day....some of those VHF channels are still in use. Now 25 plus years later, they just switched to the new P25 Phase II trunked system. The EDACS radios were removed and replaced, but the VHF radios still exist...heck even the new cars get VHF radios with the same codeplug. In that codeplug is a channel 4 simplex frequency was was their PD tac when they were on VHF in the 90s. Ask me the last time it was used and I can tell you it was two decades ago. But it’s still there. It could “potentially” be used. Could it be a backup if the trunked system goes down....perhaps but that is what site Trunking and Failsofts are for. So, because of its potential backup maybe use, should it still be in the database ? So where do you draw the line ?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There are certain people on this board ( especially some moderators) that took all the fun of being here as well, I am afraid to post anything
anymore
You've been openly taking cheap shots at moderators/admins for a while, Tony, and it's getting old. Last time I checked, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to participate on this site. If you're unhappy with how we run this place, perhaps it's time for you to move on.

mondaro

Feed Provider
You've been openly taking cheap shots at moderators/admins for a while, Tony, and it's getting old. Last time I checked, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to participate on this site. If you're unhappy with how we run this place, perhaps it's time for you to move on.

GTR8000 why do you hide behind that keyboard of yours, why the comments, and why with some members you are downright unprofessional, I have invited you to talk to me directly but you refused, are you telling me as a member and feed provider I can't make any comments here and your telling me to move on, what's the matter with you.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
See that's the problem the freq. database coordinators are trigger happy taking freqs offline and many are still in play...

Ok, so what frequency is still in play? If you are in south Bergen you should have no problem identifying if any of those PAPD frequencies are still in use and what they are currently used for if so. Please let us know and don’t forgot to submit them to the database.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
GTR8000 why do you hide behind that keyboard of yours, why the comments, and why with some members you are downright unprofessional, I have invited you to talk to me directly but you refused, are you telling me as a member and feed provider I can't make any comments here and your telling me to move on, what's the matter with you.

I can't let that one go.

First, @GTR8000 is one of the most technically knowledgeable, dedicated and professional admins on the whole site. He's also only one of a few admins that doesn't view radio as a spectator sport and goes out to verify, as well assisting people like my brother and I who have been making nearly a hundred corrections to the NJSP and NJICS systems from the field. I think he's just tired of a lot of the whining and complaining on these forums in general, overall universally not as to anyone specific, as are a lot of people. I know I'm personally tired, overall, of the complaints about the site's dedicated admins and their work, and about policy choices regarding the database. As a user and database contributor it's as insulting to me and the work I put in as it is to the admins.

Back on topic:
The ability to submit to the database is open to all member regardless of their level of membership or site role. If something is incorrect with Port Authority feel free to submit. However, there may obviously be a policy or another user with knowledge/access that negates that submission. As I stated in my original response, the conventional frequencies are still used very frequently by PANYNJ Bridge & Tunnel Agents who are the ones who handle towing, fire/medical, and quite a bit of maintenance. However, the primary communications for everything was moved to the P25 system as a matter of policy change after BNN and the media caught and covered the March 2018 incident with the escape of 10-time deportee and violent felon Mohamadou Lamine Mbacke at JFK. Public humiliation has a way of guiding policy. (Shrug)

Now can we all PLEASE move on?

Last edited:

mondaro

Feed Provider
I can't let that one go.

First, @GTR8000 is one of the most technically knowledgeable, dedicated and professional admins on the whole site. He's also only one of a few admins that doesn't view radio as a spectator sport and goes out to verify, as well assisting people like my brother and I who have been making nearly a hundred corrections to the NJSP and NJICS systems from the field. I think he's just tired of a lot of the whining and complaining on these forums in general, overall universally not as to anyone specific, as are a lot of people. I know I'm personally tired, overall, of the complaints about the site's dedicated admins and their work, and about policy choices regarding the database. As a user and database contributor it's as insulting to me and the work I put in as it is to the admins.

Back on topic:
The ability to submit to the database is open to all member regardless of their level of membership or site role. If something is incorrect with Port Authority feel free to submit. However, there may obviously be a policy or another user with knowledge/access that negates that submission. As I stated in my original response, the conventional frequencies are still used very frequently by PANYNJ Bridge & Tunnel Agents who are the ones who handle towing, fire/medical, and quite a bit of maintenance. However, the primary communications for everything was moved to the P25 system as a matter of policy change after BNN and the media caught and covered the March 2018 incident with the escape of 10-time deportee and violent felon Mohamadou Lamine Mbacke at JFK. Public humiliation has a way of guiding policy. (Shrug)

Now can we all PLEASE move on?
Agree, moving on, Thanks, Ditch.

Analogrules

RadioDitch, what about the police desk listed on 453.400? Should that be listed as "back up only" or used regularly by the PAPD?

mondaro

Feed Provider
I would keep the 453.4000 I have heard transmissions on there in the last year, Also all the PA bridge and Tunnel analog Freq's and tunes are also in play, we monitor during winter weather, you will hear maintenance and Tunnel and Bridge operations on those channels. I recently " Night at the Airport " visit thanks UMDNJ EMS for hosting, great night for a line EMT if your into Newark Airport and its operations one ARFF Firefighter told me they use the analog freq's as well as the tower freqs to communicate with the airport operations, while we are hear does anyone know what the Newark Airport Port Authority Buses operate on? they are using CDM radios. have a great day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.