Port Authority Police Radio Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

An article in the fox news website revealed that Port authority police share there radios with other agencies.

Is this true? I don't scan port authority much so I really don't know how they operate.

"The union representing Port Authority police officers claims its officers are at risk because of the police radios.

Fox 5's Lisa Evers says the problem has been going on for more than a year and nothing's changed since a Fox 5 investigation last year highlighted the problem.

PBA President Paul Nunziato says, "It's out of control. One of my cops is going to get killed, someone in the public's going to get killed, it's unbelievable."

He's talking about police communications at the Port Authority's Hudson River crossings. They are high profile places that hundreds of thousands of drivers use every day."

Port Authority Police Radio Concerns

Last edited by a moderator:

Tac-1

I think he's talking about every moving over to the TRS, LGA is online now and i been hearing some comms from the Lincoln Tunnel over the past week or so and alot of testing by radio techs

SCANdal

Silent Key
Be careful what you wish for...

More specifically, what President Nunziato is refering to is his displeasure with the fact that the police at:

- the George Washington Bridge and Bus Station (453.800R, 100.0),
- the Lincoln Tunnel (453.375R, 123.0),
- the Holland Tunnel / Brooklyn Piers (453.800R, 123.0), and
- The Staten Island Bridges [Bayonne, Outerbridge, and Goethals] (453.800R, 136.5)

share each of the above frequencies with all fellow Port Authority employees assigned to those facilities, such as toll plaza supervisors, engineers (white trucks), maintenance (yellow trucks), bridge and tunnel agents (wreckers, flatbeds, fire/rescue apparatus), contract security, and - in the case of the GWB - with the local FDNY Fire Battalion and Fort Lee Ambulance. What he's basically asking for is channels for police only use at each of the above facilities. Port Authority's answer to his request? Expanding use of their EDACS system, as Tac-1 pointed out above.

SCANdal

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Police officers stepping all over each other during a chase is not a technology problem. It is an officer training problem.

Tac-1

Well his concern should be over soon i heard testing on George Washington Bridge talkgroup over past week, maybe by spring all talkgroups will be active and then they will just have keep the TRS from going down

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Police officers stepping all over each other during a chase is not a technology problem. It is an officer training problem.

It's not Police Officers stepping all over each other....it's every other idiot (toll plaza, wrecker, maintenance, etc.) using the same frequency as the Police Officer that is stepping all over him. That is what they are complaining about.

Similar to how wreckers, etc. share the same frequency as NYS Troopers on the Thruway, etc.

D

DaveNF2G

Here is the information to which I was responding:

"Fox 5 asked Port Authority police officers with the union's help to record some transmissions back in November 2008 when it first reported on this issue. One recording showed officers trying to coordinate a chase but officers are stepping on each other’s transmissions." (emphasis mine)

This is an operational problem, not a technological one.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Gotcha Dave...I see where you are coming from and that's correct.

However, the news quote is wrong. I actually saw the FOX5 news report and listened to the audio they are quoting...and it's what I stated...toll workers, wreckers, etc. that were stepping on the Officer during the chase.

I do have to give the NYSTA folks some credit though...they actually do stay of the radio, for the most part, when something law enforcement related is going on.

As others have posted...their solution is to put all law enforcement on EDACS. We all know how much success they've had keeping that system up and running properly.

Anyone know where the transmitters are for EDACS since they are trying to cover a large area?

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Being outside of NYC/NJ being there only once before. Do the port authority police still man the booths in the tunnels and bridges?

D

DaveNF2G

They should have some low-angle sites, too, for ground level and tunnel coverage.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Being outside of NYC/NJ being there only once before. Do the port authority police still man the booths in the tunnels and bridges?

The police do not man the toll booths; civilian tolltakers do. They never did. Are you sure you aren't confusing the Port Authority of NY & NJ Police for the Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority (now MTA Bridges and Tunnels) Police?

SCANdal

Status
Not open for further replies.