Port Authority System & BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13one12

I was reading in some threads that you should avoid having multiple sites for the same system. For Port Authority, I know they have 3 separate sites. I am on the NJ side of the Hudson and can get a great signal from Site 01. Would I lose anything but not putting Sites 2 and 3 in? I want to be able to listen to JFK radio traffick and I wasn't sure it it would wind up coming out on the Simulcast Site 1.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
I was reading in some threads that you should avoid having multiple sites for the same system. For Port Authority, I know they have 3 separate sites. I am on the NJ side of the Hudson and can get a great signal from Site 01. Would I lose anything but not putting Sites 2 and 3 in? I want to be able to listen to JFK radio traffick and I wasn't sure it it would wind up coming out on the Simulcast Site 1.

I'm in S.I. and program the Simulcast system, no problems hearing all agencies.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I'm not sure why there is so much talk on the numerous x36HP threads about poor simulcast reception. It seems that programming-in more than one site causes the scanner to try to receive the same CC frequency from more than one antenna tower resulting in multipath distortion. However, some people (as on this thread) are doing just that and having no issues whatsoever. Strange…..

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It seems that programming-in more than one site causes the scanner to try to receive the same CC frequency from more than one antenna tower resulting in multipath distortion. However, some people (as on this thread) are doing just that and having no issues whatsoever. Strange…..

? Not sure I understand. In a simulcast zone (set of sites), all sites transmit identical transmissions. To the radio (including actual system radios), a set of simulcast sites is just one site with really large coverage.
You can have several simulcast zones (independent sets of simulcast sites), but they will have different frequencies if they are near each other.

You don't "program" the individual sites in a simulcast zone - you program the zone's frequencies. Capture effect and overlap determine what physical RF transmitters your radio hears.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I think the OP is referring to the fact it is an EDACS system. I have used the 536 and 436 on the networked EDACS system in Dutchess and Orange with no problem. It should work fine for the PAPD

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just for clarity, I think the topic is getting confused (and maybe the initial post as well) with CQPSK linear simulcast modulation issues presented by wide-area simulcast P25 Phase I systems for scanner users. As N2MWE said, that shouldn't be an issue, since it's an EDACS system and nothing on EDACS uses quadrature-type modulation, even ProVoice.

t13one12

Quick report back - I set the other two sites to avoid and there seems to be sufficient coverage on the Simulcast tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.