Port Clinton, OH - Upgraded emergency radio system goes live

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoytKlagwell

Premium Subscriber
WTF?

Alan Close, president of Cleveland Communications Inc., mentioned that residents who have a linear simulcast monitor to listen to law enforcement still should be able to hear communications.

WTF is that?

quarterwave

It is a magical device. It also allows you to hear the thoughts of unicorns. Er...maybe he's full of crap.

tberg4

Premium Subscriber
PC p25

Can anyone confirm they are operating on p25? What are you monitoring with?

12dbsinad

Alan Close, president of Cleveland Communications Inc., mentioned that residents who have a linear simulcast monitor to listen to law enforcement still should be able to hear communications.

WTF is that?

I have no idea either. Unless Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM) was discussed and somehow the reporter completely slaughtered it and came up with that statement. Who knows.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
1. Wonder why it's the Parma / Ottawa County system? Seems like an odd pairing.

2. For me to hear Ottawa traffic...would an affiliated O.C. radio still need to be in the vicinity of Parma?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
1. Wonder why it's the Parma / Ottawa County system? Seems like an odd pairing.

Ottawa County preferred to stick with Harris as a vendor, and sharing the system core controller Parma already had in operation was less expensive than purchasing a separate new one. This is the same approach several areas around the state are using with Ohio MARCS-IP, such as Franklin County, Clermont County and Warren County (which are building, maintaining and managing their own sites, but sharing the additional capacity of the MARCS-IP controller).

2. For me to hear Ottawa traffic...would an affiliated O.C. radio still need to be in the vicinity of Parma?

Ottawa units could roam to Parma, and just like MARCS-IP, you'll only hear traffic when a unit is affiliated to the site you're monitoring. From what I've heard there will only be limited roaming between the two, which is understandable since they're so far apart.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Some of the best techno-babble so far this year.
Confusing reBANDING. with reFARMING, and then saying the FCC mandated Sprint to pay for it!

The writer obviously didn't understand what was said and more importantly didn't ask follow up questions.

It appears that the author doesn't have any respect for the papers readers intelligence, otherwise they would have put at least a little effort into technical coorectnees.

This article is a contender for the Pulitzer techno babble award.

Status
Not open for further replies.