Port Clinton PD -- P25 / NXDN trunked license application

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Port Clinton PD has filed a trunked (YW) P25 license:

Emissions on the license app are analog / P25 / NEXEDGE96. License has not been granted yet. If you are in the Port Clinton area you might want to see if you can find out what their plan is. Highly unlikely to be an analog trunked system. So I'd guess either NEXEDGE96 or P25.

Mike

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber

So they are moving off of Parma/Medina County/Ottawa County P25 system?

- Jerry

ctpd845

Feed Provider
Port Clinton currently uses 452.5375 for dispatch. They only make limited use of the Ottawa County P25 system.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Port Clinton currently uses 452.5375 for dispatch. They only make limited use of the Ottawa County P25 system.

But with the County being on a P25 system, I could easily see this new stuff (if it happens) being P25. At least three manufacturers (/\/\oto, Harris and EFJ) make multi-band 700/800-UHF-VHF radios, so PCPD could have the best of both worlds; their own radio system which they're in control of as well as interoperability with the county, and only need to tote around one radio.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
FCC Filing suggesting further buildout of this system.

If you are within ear of Port clinton, you should fire up your scanner / DSDPlus / Pro96Com / Unitrunker and see if you can pick up a P25 or NXDN control channel. Not sure which it is going to be -- P25 or NXDN.

What I'm trying to figure out is, why the expense of trunking? Port Clinton isn't exactly a metropolitan hotbed of activity (population right around 6000), and assuming either NXDN or P25, a three-channel system only gives them two voice channels unless it's P25 Phase II. Either way it's a pretty big expense for such a little burg.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
What I'm trying to figure out is, why the expense of trunking? Port Clinton isn't exactly a metropolitan hotbed of activity (population right around 6000), and assuming either NXDN or P25, a three-channel system only gives them two voice channels unless it's P25 Phase II. Either way it's a pretty big expense for such a little burg.

My take on that:

They may be going to combine the newly licensed frequencies with existing frequencies they already have. After all, they are predominantly UHF up there. So if more frequencies are needed to adequately support the users, the frequencies might be coming from existing licenses.

If it's P25, then they probably would be Phase II. Another thing to consider is that maybe this will share the core of the Parma / Medina / Ottawa P25 Phase II system. They can easily run 450 mhz and 700 / 800 sites on the same trunked system.

If it's NX96 there will be no possibility for two-timeslot activity and thus they would either be anticipating low simultaneous usage or would be leveraging existing UHF frequencies for additional capacity. And if it were NX96 I'm sure the cost would be much less than a P25 Phase II system (even if more repeaters were needed to provide the same number of talkpaths as a P25 PII setup).

Mike

HoytKlagwell

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing Port Clinton PD on 460.075 DPL 445 and Port Clinton FD on 460.1 DPL 503. Hearing analog only so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.