Port of LA awards two radio contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The Board of Los Angeles Port Commission approved a $4.87mil contract with Motorola to expand the Harbor Departments police UHF radio infrastructure.

Port of LA Police will grow its current 2-chanel UHF P25 conventional system to 4 channels to better serve the needs of up to 200 subscribers including allied agencies while meeting FCC narrowbanding and APCO 25 standards.

Port expects the enhanced system known as “Tactical Radio System” to be operational on or around August 1, 2012.

Additionally the Port Commision awarded another $1.69mil contact for a system known internally as “Interoperable Radio System”.
This system to be utilized by Harbor Department civilian security and field staff, and will replacing currently utilized City of Los Angeles City trunked radio system.

The four channel trunked system will include a dedicated radio site at the Harbor Departments HQ that will improve reception and eliminate dead zones currently experienced with the LA City system. The new Harbor Department dedicated radio network will however be interoperable as a “sub-system” of the LA City system still to allow the port staff to conduct communications with other city agencies if required.

Its expected this system will be operational on or around June 30, 2012.

Sounds like the second system will be the 700Mhz system which Port received FCC licensing for last fall.
http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...os-angeles-getting-700mhz-trunked-system.html

While for the Police system I recall seeing them being granted two additional frequency recently – 472.2125 and 508.0375 joining their existing WQOU581 license for 472.1875.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd love to hear their reasoning behind this. If they have a 700Mhz system coming on line, why do they need to be sinking that much money into a UHF system? With the 700MHz D block coming along, and the LA-RICS system in the works, it seems silly to be spending that amount of money on something like this.
If they are running UHF P25, that should already be narrow band compliant, so that can't be the reason.

Adding channels for capacity, I could understand, but I'd be curious why they can't hold on and use either their 700MHz system, or wait for the LA-RICS system to come on line (if it ever does).

A trunked system? If they have two channels now, it must be conventional. Running a trunked system with two frequencies would be one control channel and one voice channel. If they are going to a 4 channel system, they will only have 3 voice channels. I hope this isn't really a single site system.

Then again, for 200 users, that is a heck of a lot of money.

Last edited:

2wayfreq

And, if the government is going to force LA to "Give Back" it's UHF T-Band then I guess they will have no choice but to go to 700MHz.

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I'm not sure where the expensive police system upgrade came from, however I know the Harbor Dept has long wanted to move off the LA City 800Mhz system and has over the years been forced to use a mix of odd ball radios and push to talk Nextel wireless to meet its needs around the port. As such a unified 700Mhz trunked system is quite justified.

For the police UHF system as I said, I don't have much info, except that its one system that booms across much of SoCal with sites spread out from Saddle Peak, Mt.Lee, Lukens, out to Corona.

I also heard the Port was going to have yet another radio related project with an upgrade of its CAD/MDT system and move away from its current 800Mhz radio based data system.

ctadam12

Because it's all in the name of "Homeland Security". They could easily jump on the trunked system, but hey, they are a big important "PD" now. I have a relative, who is a cop there, and tells me all the shenanigans that go down at that place: Marine unit guys running the boats for the hours while tied up at the slip, while the officers are inside the station watching the tube. That's just one example of the craziness of that place..heck..that entire city.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Sounds like some changes are in work this week as I noted the non-sworn Port Security units are utilizing the generic mutual aid I-TAC-3 frequency instead of their LA City 800mhz talkgroup.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
System coming together

Heard open carrier on one of the four future TRS frequencies today.

773.45625 NAC391

Status
Not open for further replies.