Portability questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

So after having the BCT15X. I have to ask. For portability and features which is better? The 436 or 536?

I HATED having to unplug my 15X. Take it to the car, plug it in. Connect the remote head and connect the antenna and find a place under the seat for it.

Just on this alone would you buy the 436? It seems so much easier. Maybe take it from inside to car, plug it I'm connect the antenna and be done. Get back. Unplug and take inside and connect it to the wall outlet and antenna.

However am I giving up any features that the 536 has that the 436 doesn't? I don't care about wifi. I want portability.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I bought a 536 for the house, and a 436 for my work truck/portable use. Both scanners pick up equally well, so for mobile use, I think you will find the 436 easier to implement. The only drawback is the screen is somewhat difficult to read with the varying lighting inside a vehicle during the day.

Other than WiFi, and a 9 pin serial jack, the 436 is pretty much identical. Some of the operating controls are a bit different (no dedicated Squelch, Volume, Function button). All 3 are wrapped into one knob, which takes some getting used to.

daneg

I bought a 536 for the house, and a 436 for my work truck/portable use. Both scanners pick up equally well, so for mobile use, I think you will find the 436 easier to implement. The only drawback is the screen is somewhat difficult to read with the varying lighting inside a vehicle during the day.

Other than WiFi, and a 9 pin serial jack, the 436 is pretty much identical. Some of the operating controls are a bit different (no dedicated Squelch, Volume, Function button). All 3 are wrapped into one knob, which takes some getting used to.

Yeah my friend has the 396XT. I hated being use to the 15X and using his for alittle.

I finally have the money to buy it now I just have no idea what my county is doing. If they encrypt all the stuff and I buy it now and find out later I can't listen. I'll be upset.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
My city encrypted, but everyone else around me hasnt, so I have plenty to listen to. Unless you are only interested in police, you will find most other services, and even most police dispatch channels, are not encrypted.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I finally have the money to buy it now I just have no idea what my county is doing. If they encrypt all the stuff and I buy it now and find out later I can't listen. I'll be upset.

The Radio Reference database will show what is currently encrypted, the mode column will have an E in it if what you want to listen to is encrypted. Two of my local police departments are encrypted full time, everything else I want to listen to is not encrypted.

daneg

The Radio Reference database will show what is currently encrypted, the mode column will have an E in it if what you want to listen to is encrypted. Two of my local police departments are encrypted full time, everything else I want to listen to is not encrypted.

Nope, not for my county yet. They haven't updated the database because the county hasn't really given anything out. They are testing it currently.

Other than that, everything is pretty much in the dark. Not sure what channels they are using for testing either.

All they're saying is "some encryption" but all radios are coming with encryption. PD Dispatch is to be in the clear, even though at first they said it would have little encryption, only on sensitive talk groups, but they went across the board and say dispatch is only clear.

If EMS talk groups are encrypted it will suck alot more. Our county next to us is going to 100% encryption I believe. So hopefully ours dont follow.

daneg

Will these two antennas work?

I had this one for my BCT 15x
SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA

Only it was a BNC one, I assume since the 436 is SMA I can just connect this and go? This would be for the car. This was great for picking up our mix of low and high band. Worked well for an EDACS system.

This is my other option for indoor, besides the stock antenna.
In-Car Mobile Antenna with BNC

This again was used inside for the BCT 15x. I ran it up high, and it was so much better then the stock antenna with the 15x. I was picking up a system a county over (EDACS). Since that one is BNC, there is an SMA to BNC adapter that comes with the 436 correct?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Will these two antennas work?

I had this one for my BCT 15x
SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and SMA

Only it was a BNC one, I assume since the 436 is SMA I can just connect this and go? This would be for the car. This was great for picking up our mix of low and high band. Worked well for an EDACS system.

This is my other option for indoor, besides the stock antenna.
In-Car Mobile Antenna with BNC

This again was used inside for the BCT 15x. I ran it up high, and it was so much better then the stock antenna with the 15x. I was picking up a system a county over (EDACS). Since that one is BNC, there is an SMA to BNC adapter that comes with the 436 correct?

I have 2 antenna's you list from scanner master. One has stopped working and the other is now sitting on the side. I found them cheaper on fleabay. Not the best antennas but work for a little while. I think the constant plugging and unplugging of the antenna wore it out. The cable is very thin and seems to have issues right off where it connects to the scanner(s).

Currently while using my 436 in my home or in the truck, I have a comet SMA3 Bendable antenna I use.
Comet-NCG SMA-3 | SMA CONNECTOR HT ANT 2M/440/900 I bought a Diamond antenna for about the same price when getting this one and it has sat on my counter since bringing them home.

I think the Comet is the best antenna I have bought in a long time. It brings in my P25 transmissions very well, and I hear the town over from me on their EDACS system better in lower areas. Minor static when mobile but, I accredit this to the fact I use the belt clip to hold the scanner to my sun visor while driving.

I say if you are looking for a mountable antenna you look at the Larson series antennas. I have seen great reviews and plenty of people who say that antenna is the must have for mobile listening. Have a read through here: Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

daneg

I have 2 antenna's you list from scanner master. One has stopped working and the other is now sitting on the side. I found them cheaper on fleabay. Not the best antennas but work for a little while. I think the constant plugging and unplugging of the antenna wore it out. The cable is very thin and seems to have issues right off where it connects to the scanner(s).

Currently while using my 436 in my home or in the truck, I have a comet SMA3 Bendable antenna I use.
Comet-NCG SMA-3 | SMA CONNECTOR HT ANT 2M/440/900 I bought a Diamond antenna for about the same price when getting this one and it has sat on my counter since bringing them home.

I think the Comet is the best antenna I have bought in a long time. It brings in my P25 transmissions very well, and I hear the town over from me on their EDACS system better in lower areas. Minor static when mobile but, I accredit this to the fact I use the belt clip to hold the scanner to my sun visor while driving.

I say if you are looking for a mountable antenna you look at the Larson series antennas. I have seen great reviews and plenty of people who say that antenna is the must have for mobile listening. Have a read through here: Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

That comet one is nice I will have to remember that one! It doesn't list low band though, so I cant imagine what it will be like. End of this year we will be a Phase 1 P25 so it should be great then.

I can't make a mountable antenna since i'd move it around the rooms alot.

j1place

The 536 seems to be the best for home base or a permanent mount in auto, how ever moving it back and forth doesnt seem to be logical, if need a unit for mobile the 436 is great even if hand held but the controls can be very cumbersome.have a friend with one and he loves the portability but doesn't care for the multi function controls.
jack.

daneg

The 536 seems to be the best for home base or a permanent mount in auto, how ever moving it back and forth doesnt seem to be logical, if need a unit for mobile the 436 is great even if hand held but the controls can be very cumbersome.have a friend with one and he loves the portability but doesn't care for the multi function controls.
jack.

Yeah the 536 is nice, but moving it around would suck after awhile. I would like to get both, but the 436 will have to do for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.