Portable Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackj

I got bored Sunday afternoon so I figured I might as well cleanup my work bench. I took my pretty new PSR-800 down in the basement with me. Now you have to understand that I have a very hard time cleaning up my work bench, seems like I get distracted easily. Sunday was no exception.

I hadn't gotten around to replacing the rubber ducky that came with my 800 and the scanner wasn't picking up any 800 MHz trunked systems. VHF Hi-Band was almost as bad, really noisy. I came across several short hunks of both RG-58 and RG-59 coax. One piece of 59 was about 10" long and had a BNC on one end. I looked at that coax and wondered if a 1/4 wave antenna would work better than that crappy dummy load they sell with the radio.

I cut about 3 1/2" of outer insulation off and scrunched the braid back. Only about 2" of the center conductor was exposed but I put it on the scanner. What-do-you-know...The radio started picking up our counties new TRS, it wasn't good but a lot better than the rubber ducky. Then I remembered an antenna I had played around with on 440 several years ago, I think it's called a coaxial antenna.

I chopped all but about 8" of coax off, stripped 3.5" of outer insulation off and carefully un-braided the braid. I folded the thin braid wires back over the lower insulation, found a piece of heat shrink (told you my work bench needed to cleaned up), shrank it down over the braid wires to hold them in place. This left me with 3 1/2" of insulated center conductor and 3 1/2" of grounded braid. The whole thing is about 8" long.

Stuck it on the scanner and HOLY SH-- IT WORKS! Not only could I pick up our county TRS but the state's TRS and the next county over as well. Total cost - $0.00.

Never did get the work bench cleaned up.

Jack
N8BSR

PS: If anyone is interested, I could take a picture and post it here.

jackj

Antenna

Here are a couple of pictures of the 800 MHz antenna I built last Sunday. It isn't pretty but it is cheap and it works. I suppose if you have to buy the BNC connector, RG-59 and heat shrink then it might be cheaper to just buy the Radio Shack antenna.

Attachments

FireDawgEMT22

Now Dispatch just needs to use the TRS more often than they use the conv. The other day when I was working crews were calling on the TRS and the dispatcher was answering them on the conv.

jackj

I think they had some problems with the system, FireDawg. I heard several FDs trying to contact dispatch on the TRS without luck. They could talk to each other and FCHC but not dispatch. A couple of hours later, everything was working. Cockpit trouble???

Status
Not open for further replies.