Portable antennas and the P25RX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
So, what are you all using for the P25RX as an antenna?

When I use the newly acquired P25RX with the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna it works fantastically.

When I switch that to a 700-800mhz "rubber duckie" so it can be affixed to the back of a Toughbook I get nothing. Ideally, the P25RX will be primarily used affixed, via Velcro, to the back of a CF-19 Toughbook, which makes the SpectrumForce antenna impractical.

I have tried to use the portable antenna in a few locations and I get nothing, it will see no signals, while the Unication G5 has no issues.

So ... what are you all using when using the unit as a portable?

Attachments

• IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 99

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
I had the same luck with the Remtronics 800 MHz rubber duck. Zero signal.

The Spectrum Force works well with the 700-800 MHz range then?

I may buy one if it does work for mobile use.

btt

Banned
Banned
I took a look at the Remtronics 800 MHz rubber duck. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. z=50 ohms, quality coax. It looks like it has a BNC connector. I wonder if the BNC->SMA adapter is causing issues? Where did you get the adapter?

I ordered an 800 MHz rubber duck antenna with a right-angle SMA connector on it to test. I'll let you know if it works out once it shows up.

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
The Remtronics rubber duck I bought is the SMA version. I bought it from Scanner Masters recently. It attaches directly to the P25RX and the signal strength drops off instantly.

Attach the mag mount, or another antenna I have from a dongle, and it's instant signals.

Reactions: btt

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The Remtronics rubber duck I bought is the SMA version. I bought it from Scanner Masters recently. It attaches directly to the P25RX and the signal strength drops off instantly.

Attach the mag mount, or another antenna I have from a dongle, and it's instant signals.

That has been my experience with antennas, inside or outside.

Inside in general I have real signal issues with the P25RX, outside, or an antenna outside and it works fantastically.

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
It is working fantastically in a base/mobile environment.

I will buy one for mobile use in that case. I have a cable coming today which will allow me to use a Terrawave antenna I bought from a member here. That should do the trick for me as far as base use goes.
Thanks.

btt

Banned
Banned
I checked out the P25RX front-end and the included mag-mount 700/800 helical antenna today on a VNA. Everything looks good from 750-860. The included helical antenna is a good 50 ohm antenna for these bands. The return loss is good across the entire range.

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that antenna does work. I bought a Terrawave antenna from a forum member, and it also works even indoors. I'll mount it outdoors later, it should work better.

In my case, two different discone antennas were as deaf as a post at 700-800 MHz for some reason. And I got nothing from the Remtronics rubber duck.

The radio also works with another antenna I received when I purchased an SDR dongle a while back. It has 2 telescoping whips on a small tripod. I set the whips to the length called out in the P25RX manual, and it works pretty well.

This Terrawave should do real well outdoors.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have had less than stellar results with signal, too. I have to hook up to my external TV antenna to get any useful signal from the closest MPSCS sites. I have to find some time to try it out closer to the sites.

KA9MGC

Premium Subscriber
This Terrawave antenna seems to be working very well. I still have it inside the house, as I haven't had a chance to mount it outside yet. I'll do that after the rain goes through tomorrow. But it's working very well even inside.
I'll get the model number for you and post it in this thread.

Reactions: btt

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber

When I use the newly acquired P25RX with the SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna it works fantastically.

When I switch that to a 700-800mhz "rubber duckie" so it can be affixed to the back of a Toughbook I get nothing. Ideally, the P25RX will be primarily used affixed, via Velcro, to the back of a CF-19 Toughbook, which makes the SpectrumForce antenna impractical.

I have tried to use the portable antenna in a few locations and I get nothing, it will see no signals, while the Unication G5 has no issues.

How did you put the Spectrum antenna on the P25RX when it has a BNC connector?

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber

Does the Spektrum antenna work much better than the included mag mount antenna that comes with the unit? Just trying to figure out if its worth it to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.