Portable for NYPD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Im new here on these forums. I have looked around in the forums and couldnt find what i was looking for. I couldnt use the search button because i am using my cell. I am a college student who is taking Aux. Police training for the NYPD. My instructors have told my class to go to the precincts and listen to the radio to develope an "ear for the radio". Now instead of doing that i thought i would just buy a portable/handheld radio. I wanted to know the cheapest portable that can be programmed with NYPD frequencies. And if its hard to program a portable for a newbie. Remember I am a college student and money has to be spent responsibly, so im not looking to pass the 100 dollar mark. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Your best bet would be to purchase a used scanner doesnt have to be anything complex.You will no be able to purchase a two way radio and program NYPD in it unless you have a letter stating so

hey thanks for the reply. I understand that I cant respond to central since the nypd has that scrambled, only thier saber radios can do that. I just want to listen to frequencies. Do all radios support the frequency. Again im a noob so i dont know. And is it hard to program a portable scanner/radio. If so can you direct me to a scanner that is cheap and can be used with nypd frequencies. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

16b

Premium Subscriber
The best thing for you to do may well be to locate an electronics store in the NY area that sells used scanners. Since NYPD uses the UHF T-band, you should be able to find a pretty cheap scanner to listen with. You don't need digital or 800MHz capability. You can find used scanners on eBay, but a local store would probably be easier and more helpful since you're not familiar with what you're looking for yet. Since I'm nowhere near NY, perhaps someone from that area can recommend such a place.

ampulman

fireandems13669 said:
Your best bet would be to purchase a used scanner doesnt have to be anything complex.You will no be able to purchase a two way radio and program NYPD in it unless you have a letter stating so

Many years ago, as a kid, coming out of the Holland Tunnel onto Canal St., was electronics row (especially, WWII surplus). Don't know if they're still there. Check it out.

AM

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You just need any scanner to recieve the NYPD's frequencies around 450-460Mhz or whatever the frequencies are in the UHF band. Must scanners the have label on the front
"Police, Fire, Aircraft, HAM" will do this.

thanks for the replies guys. Special thanks to the one that showed me the one at radio shack. My radio shck has two left! I will buy it tomorrow. Thanks.

RedPenguin

Nice

n2mdk said:
Any cheap scanner that can do UHF will pick up NYPD If you can find one of these in a local Radio Shack buy it ASAP http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...Price/RSK/00000000/00014999&parentPage=family
Just to clarify things standard NYPD radios use no form of encryption or scrambling if they did then a scanner wouldn't hear the transmissions. I lived in NYC for 49 years and had monitored the NYPD for 20+ years.

That is a very good deal. My county is only 453.xxx and I go to NYC a tad bit.

I already have a BR330T but was looking in to another portable, just as a "throw" around, for the times, I didn't really have to take out my BR330T. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my BR330T but it was kinda expensive so I don't want to take it or use it anywhere it's life would be put at risk. I mean the BR330T was discontinued, so it's not like I can just go get another really.

Status
Not open for further replies.