Portable marine radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hntsgt

My police agency is looking to purchase a portable marine radio, possibly one that is floats/buoyant, for use on a jet ski. Can anyone make a good recommendation... they aren't looking spend much of course?

I was looking at the Hummingbird VHF-5 but I saw that it doesn't float.

Thanks, hntsgt

SAR923

I don't know of any marine band portable that floats although there are many that are waterproof down to about 3 meters. Our department used these waterproof bags :http://www.keepitdrycase.com/smalwatprofv.html. They protect the radio better, especially in salt water, and the radio will float with the bag. Just get a portable with as loud an audio output that you can find and one of these bags and you'll be all set.

hill

Premium Subscriber

gpsdepot

Premium Subscriber
marine radio

Icom makes the M34 marine handheld radio. Nice radio and it floats

Rick

OceanaRadio

My police agency is looking to purchase a portable marine radio, possibly one that is floats/buoyant, for use on a jet ski. Can anyone make a good recommendation... they aren't looking spend much of course?

Thanks, hntsgt

hntsgt;

5w portable marine radios are for individuals, but all watercraft used for safety or security purposes should employ permanent installation of a 25w marine radio with an associated fixed-whip antenna. If you need help finding sample installations of marine radio in PWC I can send you a link off-line.

Brgds,
Jack

SAR923

I had forgot about Standard having floating portables and I didn't know Icom had a floater either. I'll repeat my advice about the waterproof bag though, if the radio is being used in salt water. The more of that stuff you can keep off any radio, the better off you'll be.

hfxChris

Database Admin
hntsgt;

5w portable marine radios are for individuals, but all watercraft used for safety or security purposes should employ permanent installation of a 25w marine radio with an associated fixed-whip antenna. If you need help finding sample installations of marine radio in PWC I can send you a link off-line.

Brgds,
Jack

Is there room to mount a radio and antenna on a jet ski?

SAR923

Yes, it can be done. We had four jet skis and the radio shop did install a waterproof fixed marine radio, a battery to operate it, and a fiberglass no ground whip on one of them. We were in some pretty big wave situations off the northern California coast and it became apparent that a permanent mount wasn't the way to go. The first time it did a 180 on a wave, it tore the antenna off. The shop reinforced the mounting. The second time, it tore off the antenna and the complete mike from the microphone cord. After that, we just had portables. :) In a calm water situation like a lake, it would be totally feasible to do a permanent install but PWC's just dont have the structure to support such an install in rough water.

OceanaRadio

Originally Posted by OceanaRadio
hntsgt;

Brgds,
Jack
Is there room to mount a radio and antenna on a jet ski?

There are thousands of personal watercraft equipped with waterproof 25w marine radios. Short of using the PWC for surf rescue in Californina as previously mentioned, there are no conditions in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico for which the PWC carrying a radio is a problem.

Jack

hntsgt

Thanks for the input guys, just an update...

I went with the Standard HX270S and the Drypack waterproof case for now.

I like the permenat install but don't think the chief will go for that right now... I'll have to soften him up a bit. ;)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That HX270S is already waterproof to an extent, but the case is smart for heavy use and salt water (as I remember that is just wonderful for everything it touches :))

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Uniden MYSTIC is an interesting device! It includes an integrated GPS which I think would really be an added value for your application. It's waterproof, but it doesn't indicate that it floats. That could be remedied. They sell for under $400.00, which compared to normal public service radios, would be considered inexpensive.

Uniden MYSTIC
http://uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=MYSTIC

The Cobra MRHH425LIVP is another combo-radio you might consider. It's a marine radio, as well as a FRS/GMRS radio, and weather alert radio! It's very inexpensive.

Cobra MRHH425LIVP
http://www.123radios.com/BuyItNow.asp?PID=2089

Last edited:

bwisittalaga1

cobra mr F55 Dual-Power VHF Marine Dual-Watch

I bought COBRA MR F55 Dual-Power VHF Marine Dual-Watch and im having no problem at all. I highly
recommend this product at
http://puregizmo.com/pdt101606/cobra_mr_f55.shtml

Thanks, hntsgt

Status
Not open for further replies.