Portable radio fry scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs1988

In theory, if I had a scanner on my belt, and transmitted with an UHF 4W portable radio (in my hand), would it damage the scanner?

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I have heard of cases of a radio transmitting extremely high wattage damaging other radio equipment in close proximity, but 4 watts wouldnt be anywhere close to enough power to damage anything. It probably wouldnt even cause interference unless you are transmitting on a frequency close to what the scanner is monitoring.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
It depends how far the radio is from the scanner. I hear if you hook up a two-way like a ham to a outside atenna and hook the scanner to the same atenna it will cook it fast...... even a cb will do it also..

w4rez

bravo14 said:
It depends how far the radio is from the scanner. I hear if you hook up a two-way like a ham to a outside atenna and hook the scanner to the same atenna it will cook it fast...... even a cb will do it also..

Yeah I can already hear and smell the FET's frying from somebody doing this, in other words don't.

Back to the original question, though: For quite some time I had a 50 watt 2 meter ham rig mounted right beneath a scanner under my dash, and only had the antennas a couple of feet apart and aside from desensing VHF frequencies in the scanner there were no ill effects from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.