• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Portable Radio Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit475

I have been looking at buying a Motorola VHF 16 channel portable radio. Was not looking to spend a lot on it because I would not use it that much for talking however a lot for listening. I would like it also to have Quick Call in it for fire tone out.... What is my options???

Price range $170-$200

I noticed on ebay someone in Hong Kong has the Motorola GP340 and they clame they have Quick Call II Signalling however I can not find anwhere in the OM for the GP340 that it has that so im scared to trust that!

Help me out please!

-Thanks
Unit 4-75

K4APR

Honestly, avoid overseas models if you can. They typically require a different version of RSS than the US versions. This not always true, but I have ran into it more times than not.

As for VHF 16 channel Moto portables, look at the HT750. It's available in a 16 channel version and you might find one in your price range. Also, if you are willing to downgrade a bit, take a look at an SP-50+. You can find these in 10 channel units. Another option would be a P1225. You can also find these in 16 channel units.

Unit475

It looks like they have been replaced with the CP radios???
They look like they have what I need...
Are they any good???

Magnetsteve

It looks like they have been replaced with the CP radios???
They look like they have what I need...
Are they any good???

Sure, if you are mainly monitoring, the CP200 is a good model, they have 16 channels and have quickcall/MDC capabilites, and are usually fairly cheap.

SCPD

QRT
Need a radio

I have been looking at buying a Motorola VHF 16 channel portable radio. Was not looking to spend a lot on it because I would not use it that much for talking however a lot for listening. I would like it also to have Quick Call in it for fire tone out.... What is my options???

Price range $170-$200

I noticed on ebay someone in Hong Kong has the Motorola GP340 and they clame they have Quick Call II Signalling however I can not find anwhere in the OM for the GP340 that it has that so im scared to trust that!

Help me out please!

-Thanks
Unit 4-75

Unless you got your heart set on a new one, just find a used GP300 on Ebay, or post in the "Stuff wanted" area here. It will do quick-call, you can drop and it don't get hurt. Bats are cheap, the audio is nice and loud, you should be able to find one with a good battery for no more that $150.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
P1225 & GP300 are very nice radios. You can use them as a baseball
There from the mid 90's but very reliable. They can be bought on ebay for around $75-$100
you can get many non-OEM batteries and chargers and accessories on ebay
The CP200 is a rock too, I've seem them go for around $100(just the radio)
The HT750 is great also, seem them for around $100, accessories are everywhere
These are non-display units, I'd go with an HT1250 if I wanted the display but they cost a bit more
I'd personally try to go for a newer model, I'd shoot for an HT750 or HT1250.

Unit475

I was looking something kinda small and newer then that! Im looking at the CP200 16 channel VHF but they are about $270 per unit! A little high for my price range!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
There are some really nice ones on ebay, but you might have to find the charger, batt, ant seperatly

K4APR

I forgot about the CP200. That is also a great option. Better yet, the PR400 is better, 16 channels and you can even find them with an LCD and full DTMF keypad. Programming cable is easy to make for them too :D

Unit475

I have a ??? about the PL tone setup for the CP200

My county fire channel pl tone is 186.2 Hz but if I recall right I think I heared that if its set up as a tone SQL that it will not work. It has to be set up on a tone ENC. Our fire and so channel is like that however our rescue channel is a tone SQL but will work with a tone ENC.... How would I explane this to the person programming the radio? Or dose the radio came in tone ENC to start off with???

Thanks,
Unit475

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.