Portable Radio Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a suggestion for a good portable radio that won't require taking out a loan. I would like NXDN access but with how sparsely it is currently used (NS PD are the only ones around me that currently use it, and maybe one of the BNSF yards) it's not a dealbreaker. I have a Kenwood programming cable and I'm familiar with their programming software so I'd prefer one of those but the Kenwood prices are a bit higher than I'd like right now. In particular I'm looking for something with sensitivity: I'm currently using a Baofeng specifically for grabbing and going and on comparable antennas it just doesn't do as well as anything else I have. I would like to stick with something that has a full keypad as well if possible in order to enter channel numbers.

I'm currently looking at 4 models: Icom IC-F30GT, Kenwood TK-2180, Icom IC-F3261DS, Kenwood NX-210. The F30GT is much cheaper but I can't really find much documentation on this radio online which worries me and would need a programming cable and software. The 2180 is probably the front runner right now as it uses the same cable I have, is programmable through Chirp, and I used to use a 3180 for work so I'm familiar with them. The IC-F3261DS is about the same price as the 2180s are going for and includes NXDN, but I don't have a cable or software for it and it doesn't have a full keypad or come with a charger. The NX-210 is my ideal but is way above my price range used right now.

I am open to suggestions for other models as well. Like I said, sensitivity is my main concern, programmability is the next priority, ease of use next. Ability to use on 2m amateur would be a nice bonus. I do not need a mobile as I use my Yaesu 300 for that (the recording feature makes it super easy to pull audio to put on videos). Considering a FT-60 but the last Yaesu portable I bought I was severely disappointed by (FT-70).

Thanks in advance!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For analog only, it's hard to beat the 2180 as a solid little radio with a lot of nice features. You can use it on 2 meter ham, and it'll work well on rail.
Bonus, the same KPG-89 software will program the TK-x180 mobiles, so if you decide to add a mobile, you'll be all set.

If you want NXDN capability, NX-210 is the way to go. I've got about 40 of them at work, as well as about 400 of the NX-410 800MHz version, and they've been extremely solid radios. Same programming cable as the TK-2180, so you are set there.
Keep your eyes on the used market, and you may see more of them showing up. They are a 10+ year old model, so more and more may be coming out of active duty.

Icom makes pretty good stuff, but their support isn't quite as strong as Kenwood. I've still got a few Icom radios floating around and they are good.

When buying used, it's also a good idea to consider getting them aligned. It can liven up an older radio. However, I purchased a 10+ year old TK-7180 about a year ago that had come out of railroad service and it was pretty close to factory specs.

I agree with the NX-210 for a portable. I got mine from UPRR and it works great. I would, if I were you, make sure to "0" out the transmit frequency or at least put it to an itenerate so as not to key up on RR ops. If will also do alpha/numerics. The software is readily available on the internet.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both for your responses. I ended up getting a 2180, and even adding a charger and programming software it was still less expensive than the cheapest NX-200 or NX-210. If NXDN had more use around me I could justify a 210 but at this point I just can't. Someday in the future when it gets more widespread.

And yes, I program anything I'm not authorized to transmit on as receive only just to be safe. I don't trust myself to not hit the button accidentally when reaching for the radio!

I'm very interested to play around with it and compare it to what I have already. I know it'll blow the Baofeng out of the water, I'm more curious to see how it does compared to the Yaesu FTM100D on my desk that is my current best performer on the rail band.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
The radio came today, and WOW. Just as good as the Yaesu and poosibly better on the same antenna, better than my dedicated rail scanner on a different antenna. With the stock antenna it outperforms my BCD396XT with an upgraded portable antenna. Pleasantly surprised by the scan speed too, not quite as fast as a regular scanner but not too far behind, going through the entire rail band in just a hair over a second if I had to estimate. If I had to find something to complain about it's that I was trying to use a UHF to SMA female adapter to connect it to my external antenna and the channel selector knob is too close so the adapter wouldn't screw in. Also, the driver for my programming cable apparently isn't compatible with Windows 11 and I have to use my older laptop that can't be upgraded and is still on 10. But really if those are my biggest complaints then I think it's a good choice. Nice big and clean audio from the speaker, big easy to push buttons, and a great performer whether on the external or stock antenna. Programmed in some 2m repeaters and ran out of time today to test it out, but was hearing a group work simplex to the east of me on .52. Because of the relative complexity of programming (computer vs. keypad programming, inflexibility without a VFO) I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, but if you have experience working with CPS-type software and are looking for a little more oomph then the 2180 is definitely a great choice.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, they are solid radios. As a dedicated VHF radio, it's going to outperform your scanner. Glad it's working out for you.

You'll likely find some programming changes to make as you get comfortable with it, little tweaks here and there.

The lack of VFO is a deal breaker for many, but I grew accustomed to it long ago. I don't do a lot of random ham contacts anymore, so programming in the standard 2 meter simplex channels and all my local repeaters still left plenty of room for everything else. I have one mobile ham radio left, but it's on a shelf waiting for an application. I use commercial LMR radios for everything now, and don't miss the ham stuff one bit.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Yeah, they are solid radios. As a dedicated VHF radio, it's going to outperform your scanner. Glad it's working out for you.

You'll likely find some programming changes to make as you get comfortable with it, little tweaks here and there.

The lack of VFO is a deal breaker for many, but I grew accustomed to it long ago. I don't do a lot of random ham contacts anymore, so programming in the standard 2 meter simplex channels and all my local repeaters still left plenty of room for everything else. I have one mobile ham radio left, but it's on a shelf waiting for an application. I use commercial LMR radios for everything now, and don't miss the ham stuff one bit.

I've done much the same; I still have a couple of ham rigs for emergency use since they have the VFO capability, but 99% of my use is commercial stuff now, portable and in the shack, including an Icom F3161DT with NXDN and railroad firmware, and the new F3400 with NXDN (but no RR firmware). Both are excellent for rail monitoring.

The OP absolutely will not regret this purchase. In fact, I've found that part of the fun (for me at least) is playing with settings to see what I can do to enhance things.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I doubt I'd ever replace the Yaesu 300 I have in my truck unless there came available a dual band mobile that doesn't break the bank, which I don't see happening any time soon. I don't really need the VFO but especially on a mobile that tends to travel it's nice to have. Portable I have no need for a VFO, I'd rather connect the radio to my laptop and make sure whatever it is is programmed right. If I program it right then I shouldn't even need the VFO. But I like having dual band in one radio, having access to Fusion (there is a lot of Fusion activity around me), recording directly built into the radio, and APRS built in. Being in the field my degree is in helps too: I've had plenty of experience with LMR equipment, so I generally know how they tick. Made getting into DMR a couple years ago easy too since they essentially work the same.

That said, when I'm actually riding the train (Metra or Amtrak) I'm still going to bring my Baofeng. I'd rather have $20 swiped off my belt or dropped or sat on and broken than $100+. Besides, I don't need a super radio inside the train, since I won't be able to hear much of anything outside it anyway. The 2180 is going to be my standing trackside radio for when I go out getting video for my YouTube channel once the weather becomes not white and frozen again in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.