Portable Radio seen on USS-Toledo Submarine top hatch in a video

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have yet another puzzle for the folks of the forum to solve.

I have spotted another unidentified portable associated with military property.... this time in a video about life on a Navy Sub. As the videographer was entering the submarine through the top hatch in the attached video, there can be seen a radio clipped to metal near the entry point. I am unsure of the make or model, and am reaching out to you all to help me figure out what it is.

It seems that the staff were utilizing Midland GXT1000 portables when on the ice, but I am not sure if this other unit is related. I have included the clearest screen grab taken from the video (the unit appears on screen for less than 2 seconds).

[Frame by frame advance will need to be used to examine the video effectively]

Many thanks!

Unknown Radio.PNG

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well let's see, ICEX 2020 kicked off on March 4th, which was just 5 days after the first confirmed U.S. death from COVID-19 (Seattle area). It wasn't until March 15th that the CDC started advising against having large gatherings, and not until April 3rd did they start to advise people to wear masks in public.

But sure, let's nitpick a year-old video without checking the facts first. :cautious:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Well let's see, ICEX 2020 kicked off on March 4th, which was just 5 days after the first confirmed U.S. death from COVID-19 (Seattle area). It wasn't until March 15th that the CDC started advising against having large gatherings, and not until April 3rd did they start to advise people to wear masks in public.

But sure, let's nitpick a year-old video without checking the facts first. :cautious:

Is that the same day the guy was allowed to board and shoot this video?

When my wife had a stroke on March 24th of 2020, I wasn't allowed inside the hospital due to COVID, and that was only 20 days after. You would think the military would have had a early heads up on the COVID risks by March 4th. Regardless I'm looking at the date on the You Tube date of July. I didn't know if that was the date it was shot, or posted.

consys

Premium Subscriber
I concur w/ KevinC, but please allow this: All of those videos (and there are several in the series) had to be scrutinized by the Navy and edited before posting. It took time. I worked as a civilian test technician on our subs for twenty years, and those vids are some of the best ever publicly released IMHO. As for the radio, it is on a vessel operating in waters with other marine vessels. When transiting on the surface, they are just another -very special- boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.